• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8.3 in a 335 Peterbilt , no start

Logger72

I have a 2005 Peterbilt 335 with a Cummins 8.3, when I turn the key,, nothing,,does not turn over,,just some clicking. I boosted the batteries thinking they might need help, made no difference. It first did it after a hundred mile run and after it cooled down it started just fine. Yesterday I started it and moved to the fuel pump and shut it off and then no start. When it does start the starter sounds fine and it fires right up. I guessing it is a bad connection or possibly an electric relay. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks

Logger72

I tried bypassing the starter solenoids, it has two, and I got no response from the starter, is that a pretty good indication that my problem is with the starter?

Logger72

I had a fella that has more knowledge than me (which don,t take much!) look it over and the verdict is the starter is bad. I am picking up one in the morning and he says he can install it tomorrow nite. Fingers crossed!

heymccall

Automatic or manual transmission?

On my manual transmission, I got the $18 option for neutral start, meaning as long as shifter handle isn't forward or backward, it'll crank. Without the $18 option, the clutch pedal must be depressed to crank.

If an auto, the TCM must see neutral.

Reactions: DB2

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Funny, not that many years ago when I used to use the KW versions of these, they had no neutral or clutch safety at all. I commonly started them from the ground and if it was left in gear it would turn one or 2 compression strokes and then the driveshaft would be all wound up and stop. I never park air brake trucks in gear so it wasn't on my list to check.