• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

79 JD 310. So this weird thing happened ?

showrguy

Howdy fellas,
A couple a days ago I was at my camp property taking down some gypsymoth killed Oaks..
I was facing foreward in low gear, getting ready to pull a very heavy red oak log..
As I was spinning the seat around something felt/sounded weird, then I noticed the loader bucket going up on it’s own ??
I quickly reached over and shoved the loader control foreward, few seconds later it started again..
This happened 3-4 times in a row, was about to shut down machine when everything went back to normal…
Any ideas from the pros as to what/why this could happen ??

Thanks, Chuck

Welder Dave

Possibly the spool caps are loose. One of the caps on the lift valve for my front end loader on a tractor came loose and it wouldn't go into float position. Wondering if maybe a cap was loose not letting the valve center. Also check the linkage for dirt or binding.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The control valve is positioned via a spring-loaded ball inside the valve body, which positions the spool in its correct operating location, via grooves machined into the spool that fit the ball precisely.

If the spring-loaded ball develops a broken spring, or if any spring-and-ball retention device comes loose, the ball will fail to locate the spool properly in its correct operating positions.

You end up with the possibility of the spool moving by itself, and actuating controls when you don't want it to.

I have also had a spool that contained a poppet valve internally, have the poppet valve fracture into pieces, and this made for erratic operation of the bucket controls.

Delmer

If it's not a branch, then it almost has to be inside the cap on the bottom of that valve spool. Take it off, carefully. Nothing SHOULD fall out, but if it fell apart in there, then all bets are off. If you don't see anything obviously broken or loose, is the cap full of oil? or cleaned outside from flowing oil?

Like this fine Vetech wanna be at :50 and again at 2:00

showrguy

Thanks for the replies fellas..
The machine is not close to me now, but I might be back up there in a few days to check it out.. Really hoping to find a branch/stick or sasquatch toenail stuck in there ..