• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

777D spin out video!

thebaz

That driver did a well to stay in control like that.
That's a lot of truck to be sideways:jawdrop

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I could only imagine what he was thinking....

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
That would be fun unloaded but loaded I wouldn't of been in any hurry to get going again.

Dr Komatsu

Is it normal to allow light vehicles to run the same time as a haul truck,over here its practice that all trucks stop if light vehicles are moving in the mine until the vehicle is back to a position of safety ..

alco

For us, it's normal for all vehicles to share the roads in the mine. However, following as close to the hauler as the truck in the video was is just plain reckless.

JDOFMEMI

Like Alco says. Normal to share the road, but he was WAY too close.
Spooky seeing the big ones go roundy round. Good way to make them into side dumps.
I think the foreman was a bit late in calling off the trucks.

frogfarmer

Almost a disaster before someone had sence enough to make a decision. I bet there were standard operating procedures in place to shut down production prior to the actual call. Im just glad there wasnt another truck on that haul road going the other direction. I hope their management saw the video.

Dualie

That almost got real western in a hurry. like was said above thats a lot of truck to be getting sideways.

ziggy

Occupation
unemployed
Not trying to sound cocky but cat rock trucks are easier to handle then most pick ups and fishtails and doughnuts are not big deals and easy to get out of.
The wheelbase is very narrow for a big truck and most of the weight is right in between the wheels so they arent exactly tippy.I've had trucks pull away from my loader with the front tires cranked the wrong way in soft muck where the front tire on one side was 2 meters in the air and they were 250 tonners.
YouTube - Caterpillar 785 mining truck does doughnuts!
YouTube - Cat 793 Dump Truck Skidding

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Not that I have ever driven one that big, but those trucks where empty. And if that 2nd one was loaded and he hit that berm it may have been a different story.

ziggy

Occupation
unemployed
Not that I have ever driven one that big, but those trucks where empty. And if that 2nd one was loaded and he hit that berm it may have been a different story.

If you look closely at the boxes on any cat trucks and especially the newer ones like the 798's you will see that they are designed to have the bulk of the weight as low as possible and between the wheels giving them a very low center of gravity and virtually untippable in a slide,thats why in some of the videos you see them perched precariously over ledges with a lot of the truck hanging over empty air.it takes a lot of effort to flip one on their side.
Just look at the shape of the box and how the "V" at the bottom is in between both front and back tires.

They handle better then any pickup truck I have ever drove and I've driven lots of rock trucks,the wabco's were also built like that and also the komatsu's.

Any rock truck driver will confirm this,they are actually a lot of fun in slippery conditions.
The cat trucks do 37 MPH top speed,if they were that uncontrollable they would be cut back but their not for a reason and that what makes them some of the best trucks on the planet.

Now an electric truck is different,most Cat trucks are mechanical drive,big difference in how they handle on slippery surfaces,electric trucks suck on downhill hauls or if the operator has the cruise control on.

Crawler Hawler

Occupation
HEO, Drill&Boom
If you look closely at the boxes on any cat trucks and especially the newer ones like the 798's you will see that they are designed to have the bulk of the weight as low as possible and between the wheels giving them a very low center of gravity and virtually untippable in a slide,thats why in some of the videos you see them perched precariously over ledges with a lot of the truck hanging over empty air.it takes a lot of effort to flip one on their side.
Just look at the shape of the box and how the "V" at the bottom is in between both front and back tires.

They handle better then any pickup truck I have ever drove and I've driven lots of rock trucks,the wabco's were also built like that and also the komatsu's.Any rock truck driver will confirm this,they are actually a lot of fun in slippery conditions.
The cat trucks do 37 MPH top speed,if they were that uncontrollable they would be cut back but their not for a reason and that what makes them some of the best trucks on the planet.

Now an electric truck is different,most Cat trucks are mechanical drive,big difference in how they handle on slippery surfaces,electric trucks suck on downhill hauls or if the operator has the cruise control on.

We have 2 785-5 komatsu's with flat bottom beds, we had several old 85 ton wabco's that were the same way.

They are horrible wet weather trucks as the center of gravity is higher and the load is transfered farther back on the rear axle...

In the initial video the operator grabbed a handful of retarder, had he stayed with it or upshifted a gear he may have been alright.

ziggy

Occupation
unemployed
We have 2 785-5 komatsu's with flat bottom beds, we had several old 85 ton wabco's that were the same way.

They are horrible wet weather trucks as the center of gravity is higher and the load is transfered farther back on the rear axle...

In the initial video the operator grabbed a handful of retarder, had he stayed with it or upshifted a gear he may have been alright.

Our mine started with the 85d wabco mechanicals and the bloody things would do over 50 mph.:eek:
They were a blast to drive and handled very well but they also had the big v in the box which put a lot of wieght down low between the tires.I've never run the komatsu rock trucks but the 300 tonners I see at the oilsands look similiar to the cat trucks on the same haul.