• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

777D Roll overs

Iron Horse

What is this gadget ? It bolts straight to the diff banjo , It's either a retarder , a planetary reduction of some sort or a hydrostatic or electric drive unit . It would be more than just a pinion housing .

Mercury switches cut the fuel off , killing the engine before the oil pressure gets low enough to shut the engine down via an oil pressure sender unit . Which would be a better method of shutting it down as if the engine is at full noise and relying on the low pressure unit to send the signal the crank could do another 500 revolutions before it stops . Which is plenty of time to melt Babbit Metal and destroy the engine .

Attachments

• dumper diff 001.jpg
    dumper diff 001.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,413

Gavin84w

That is the transmission gents. The 777D whilst IMO should of had VIMS this machine does not but it has been made as an option to bolt on as a kit for certain serial number 777D,s

Iron Horse

That is the transmission gents. The 777D whilst IMO should of had VIMS this machine does not but it has been made as an option to bolt on as a kit for certain serial number 777D,s

So the transmission is bolted directly to the diff ? And a driveshaft runs back from the torque convertor to the transmission ?

Haul-Pak

So the transmission is bolted directly to the diff ? And a driveshaft runs back from the torque convertor to the transmission ?

The tranny bolts to the diff, the diff bolts to the diff case or banjo.

SSL21324.jpg

The drive line runs back to the torque that is bolted to the Engine.

Iron Horse

I think i understand why they forward mount the driveshaft now . With it being before the tranny , it is only exposed to the engine torque (only:eek:) . With it mounted as per normal , after the tranny it is exposed to the extra reduction of the tranny which would be considerable . It would be a huge job to replace the bearings in the diff though .

Haul-Pak

I think i understand why they forward mount the driveshaft now . With it being before the tranny , it is only exposed to the engine torque (only:eek:) . With it mounted as per normal , after the tranny it is exposed to the extra reduction of the tranny which would be considerable . It would be a huge job to replace the bearings in the diff though .

You would be suprised how quick two guy's can rip the tranny and diff out.

Not much holding it all in there.

Depending on the truck and tools, you could have the unit on the floor in a few hour's.

785 Diff.jpg

EDIT: The pic ... CAT 785 ... DIFF went south!

Last edited:

LonestarCobra

The Differential re-build is one of my favorite jobs. My service truck crane will sneak in under the raised bed of a 777 and snatch that tranny out, and then the diff with no prob. Usually takes me 2 hours. However, a bad failure in the diff usually causes more work in the brakes and finals if the metal eats up the inner duo-cone seals.:drinkup

Iron Horse

I was thinking more along the lines of the job of removing the tranny from the diff center , not the diff center from the banjo . How is the diff pinion attached to the tranny output shaft ? Is it a spline or is it a flange you can access through an inspection plate ?

Funny story , i was watching a mechanic swearing away and trying to pry a diff center out of a truck once . I watched for a while (i'm like that :p) and then casually said , maybe if you pull the axles it will come out easier :cool: .

LonestarCobra

The Diff pinion is housed in the diff housing bearings and all. It has a female spline that goes up inside it. When you pull the tranny all that is sticking out is the output shaft and the little speed sensor shaft inside the output shaft. (That is on 777 and 773):usa

Haul-Pak

The Diff pinion is housed in the diff housing bearings and all. It has a female spline that goes up inside it. When you pull the tranny all that is sticking out is the output shaft and the little speed sensor shaft inside the output shaft. (That is on 777 and 773):usa

x1 :cool:

Pretty much the same all the way up.

You can leave the diff in the case and pull the tranny or pull them both as a unit.

The 793 (First Pic) Has an Adaptor where as the 785 Diff and tranny bolt right on the case.

dpatrick

Very professional recovery. So you had to think that one over before you put the straps to it. Are those 300 ton cranes, or do you go by the metric equivalent? Those are some pretty big fellas working the ground. Reminded me that"s where "Arnold" is from. Nice work, and good design engineering on the 7 for the drivers sake.

JDOFMEMI

I just looked back at this again, and got to thinking about something.

Does anyone else find it odd that in the land of some very strict HSE rules, all the riggers hooking up the truck to the crane wer wearing shorts?

I know it gets hot there. I spend a lot of time here in the Mojave desert at 110* F and higher, and shorts would never fly on a mine site here. Not saying anything is wrong with it. It just seems to be one of those culture things.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I just looked back at this again, and got to thinking about something.

Does anyone else find it odd that in the land of some very strict HSE rules, all the riggers hooking up the truck to the crane wer wearing shorts?

I know it gets hot there. I spend a lot of time here in the Mojave desert at 110* F and higher, and shorts would never fly on a mine site here. Not saying anything is wrong with it. It just seems to be one of those culture things.

Culture be buggered, we wear shorts to keep our knackers cool, you all know what happens if they overheat. You are not a "Dinkum Aussie" if you haven't got a knacker hanging out one side your shorts.:D

Rn'R.

Gavin84w

It,s like the pics you see out of the anthracite region for me as it looks like a lot of guys just drive in and take pics etc, trust me Jerry it was 43 degrees C the day i did that job and we all sweated!! While the pics look bad where some people are it comes back to risk assessment. I spent 3 days engineering that lift and it went to perfection. If you do your sums and over engineer your gear (like we had here) you absolutely give yourself a much better chance at success, getting out of bed each has risk and you just address it and get on with it i say.

JDOFMEMI

Don't take it wrong, I just meant that I was surprised to see it on a mine site in the country where you have to have hand rails for the hand rails.

Rules abound, but it is nice to be able to have some freedom on less regulated sites to wear shorts and tank tops if you so desire. Just looked a little off, with Hard hat, safety glasses, reflective vest, steel toed boots, then to not have long pants on.

That was a first class job by the way.

Gavin84w

It's like a lot of pics Jerry, they don,t tell the whole story. This site is actually a very big quarry in outer west Sydney and while the dept of mines investigated this the juristiction they have over the site is a little different (and relaxed) as compared to coal mines etc

The overburden contractor used to use 994 loader and 5230 to remove about a 20' layer of top soil over the river gravel and the quarry companies had 777/5130/992 to remove about the same thickness again and then it was rehabed into a huge lake system, infact the rowing for the 2000 olympics was conducted on man made lakes within this quarry.

Try this link

http://www.penrithlakes.com.au/mainsite/site/html/pldc_home.htm

Last edited:

Eran

Guys- does the engine on the 777D has a self-shut down gudget when it rolls over?