• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

773g tank drain

2frankh

Want to drain the fuel tank on my 773g. I lifted the machine and only see a small plate with three bolts in it. How big is the belly pan and how hard is it to get the fuel to drain?? Thanks for the help. Also hope that I can get the old pick up tube out of it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Better get the tank near empty before you drain it, otherwise you're gonna either take a bath or make a mess. Crawling under the machine from the rear you find that small plate in the centerline of the machine, remove plate and you'll seen an metal plug stuck in a seal grommet in the bottom of the tank. Pluck the plug out and it's gonna drain, why I said run her near empty first. :)

2frankh

Pulled the plug out of the grommet. Didn't drain fuel but some kind of oil. There is a bolt head on the other side. What did I drain and where can I put it back in? Thanks.

crewchief888

Pulled the plug out of the grommet. Didn't drain fuel but some kind of oil. There is a bolt head on the other side. What did I drain and where can I put it back in? Thanks.

Found out it's the chain case oil. Guess the bolt is the fuel drain???

the chaincase drain is facing towards the rear of the machine, in the rear corner of the chaincase, the filler plug is on the front of the chaincase, occording to bobcat spec, it should be within "finger reach" of the hole.

before you pull whatever is jammed into your fuel tank, get a NEW grommet and plug.
the fuel tank is plastic, and you really dont want to have to replace it....

:drinkup

2frankh

I see now that previous owner must have lost the plug and put a bolt in the grommet. Another trip to the bobcat dealer. Ouch. At least the crank case fluid will be changed.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

That's my fault 2frankh, I should've told ya that the chain case drain plug is in that area as well.

2frankh

No problem. Can't hurt to change it. Thanks for the help. Does it matter if the hydraulic fluid is bobcat brand. If not what would you recommend. Thanks.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
All the oil is doing in the chain case is lubricating the chains and ordinary tapered roller bearings, nothing unusual in there, any quality AW hydraulic oil will work just fine.

2frankh

Thanks again. Hope to get it finished up this weekend. Going to do the engine oil and filter and the hydraulic filter and oil. That should take care of service for a while. Don't use it often but it sucks when it doesn't work.