• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

75xt Case Fianl Drive Catch

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
I have a 2000 75xt. I loaned it to my cousin to back fill around his house. He ran it for maybe 10 min. and the left side started to bind up. I have taken the front axle off to check the bearings, they seem to be good. The problem seems to get worse the more wieght there is in the bucket. I have inspected the chains and sprockets in the final drive and they show no wear or slack. So i was wondering if anyone knows what in the hydraulics to look for. I have contacted the local dealer, not much help. :Banghead

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It sounds like a chain or sprocket problem which you said you already checked. Does it make noise when your running it? Do both side track equally when empty?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
When you say 'bind' - is the engine loading up as you try to push?
Does it have the brake in the drive motor or early type with mechanical pin at the sprocket?

It could be the brakes being applied on the left side - if so - drive motor will need to be inspected
Could check pressure difference between LH & RH to confirm

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
The Final Drive does not make any noises. The engine does pull down, but it does it the worst when you carry heavier loads on the forks. It is the older style w/brake pin and sprocket. With an empty bucket if you did not know about the problem you would not notice it. The best why to explain it is, it is like a chain riding up on the sprocket, but i can't find any evidence of this. I did try tightening the chains which did seam to help for a minute or to so I am at a lose. I didn't take the back axle off and check the bearings there, just assumed it would be in the front axle if anything.

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
Oh, both sides do seam to track the same. If there is a difference it is almost unnoticable. When I called the local dealer, they said to check the linkage, but I couldn't see how that would cause this problem. Maybe im wrong. Just looking for direction. Thanks

alrman

Occupation
Normally if there is somekind of bearing problem with axles they will have excessive end float or play. If you raise the wheel from the ground - is there any movement?
often pick a bad axle bearing by noticing a difference of the camber of front & rear wheels

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
I have eliminated axle bearing as the problem. Just wondering if there is a valve, in the hydraulics, that could be sticking or the hydraulic motor hanging up, or something in the pump that could cause this.

alrman

Occupation
If axles are OK - the noise can only be the drive motor - relief valves etc won't cause 'noise' or 'binding' - don't keep driving it if this is the case as it could damage the pumps as well if not already.

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
The drive motor was replaced when i bought the skidloader, which really doesn't mean anything i guess. The may reason i think it is in the hydraulics is that the motor pulls down almost like the park brake is engaging, but i don't hear any noise anywhere.

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
Im just hoping it is not the pump. Ive priced them and they are not free. A drive motor would be easier to afford.

Hammer & Nails

Occupation
Construction
Well I finally gave in and took my case to the pros. They looked it over and said it was a faulty drive motor, which was my guess but I didnt have the tools or know how to test it. Now Im looking for and advice on how to install the motor. Im a tight wad and am going to give it a try. My main question is do you have to fill to motor with oil before it is pressurized. I dont want to blow the seals or something. So if anyone has changing out drive motors I would like to know the does and donts before I learn them on my own.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It should have a typical roller stator drive motor, you don't have to fill the motor with oil prior to installation, but it's advisable to run the motor at low rpm with no load on the motor for a few moments after hydraulic connections are made.