• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

74 Hough H90E

zlssefi

Im stumped here guys...I have a hough h-90E payloader which we use for snowplowing. When pushing a heavy load with the pusher we get a recurring noise which sounds like its coming from the front end of the machine. The noise almost seems like a small thud, very mild every time the wheel goes around. It will not make the noise when you are just driving, or backing up or even moving a small load of snow. I took the planetary cover off and what i could see looked like brand new. The oil had no shavings or even metallic color to it, and the magnet had only a small film of very small particles...im not the greatest mechanic out there, but i can fix something if i know where the problem is...any of you guys had this problem before???

thanks in advance!!

mikey531

have you tried pushing with just the bucket and see if makes the same noise? Maybe have someone walk beside the machine and see if they can pinpoint the noise.

zlssefi

noise

We havent checked from outside the machine yet for the noise. I do know that we were loading tri-axles with snow maybe a month ago, and the operator whos has tons of experience in that particular machine said he heard nothing out of the ordinary. were gonna look further into it asap. it sounds too slow to be a driveshaft noise, but i could be wrong...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You might look at the center joint. The bearings sometime get some up and down slop and when you load up the bucket by pushing or picking up a load it slams up or down as the case warrants.

Sometimes you can see it from the seat by traveling if forward and shifting the transmission into the next higher gear. You will see the back of the machine pop up or down.

Good Luck!

aongheas.macask

Occupation
ex service manager
Try pulling the plug from front diff and see if any contaminaton,the crap might not get thru to planetaries depending on drive shaft set-up

zlssefi

The front differential was just drained and cleaned out with no water, dirt or metal contamination found. As far as bearing slop are you talking about the driveshaft or the " transfer drive box"? Its a small gear box which has two tapered roller bearings inside, it was rebuilt about 200 hours ago and has been super tight ever since. The machine also had a new lower center pin installed maybe 500 hours ago.... I will check lug nuts today, any idea what tourque should be?

30 dirty years

Occupation
Jak of all trades
If they are loose it ? You may need a new wheel because they keep coming loose again, I am not sure on the tourque ,I put a 3/4 snap on ratchet on them and stand on it :)

John C.

Occupation
Replacing a lower center pin tells me you got troubles. The bearings also needs to be replaced at the same time and if the lower is shot the upper also has a problem.

John C.

Occupation
One frame has the top and bottom pin bosses and the other has the center boss with a bushing inside it. The top joint on the hitch has as I recall upper and lower tapered roller roller bearings that are shimmed up or down to center the frame halves in the joint. There should be no movement back and forth or up and down when picking up or pressing down with the bucket.

zlssefi

i gotcha, ill take her out today and try pushing into piles and pressing down with the bucket to see if there is any movement there...