• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6BT 5.9 cummins oil cooler

Randy88

This is a new one for me, had oil coolers go bad before, but never had the engine oil level right up to snuff in the morning and by late afternoon we ran it out of oil?? Took a few minutes to figure out it was actually out of oil, took even more head scratching to figure out where the oil went, the first obvious thing to look for, a blown hose, oil pressure feed line to the gauge was fine, no oil in the belly pans, none leaking anywhere on the engine, none by the turbo, nothing dripping basically the cleanest engine I've got, no oil anywhere, took the turbo air intake line off, that was dry too.

Stood there in total disbelief and bewilderment and if not for the fact I was running the machine when it happened, never would have believed it could have happened, never left the machine alone all day, switched from one machine to the next all day long. Actually had to pick up my phone and call someone smarter than me and told him what happened and ask where is the oil and where did it go, after the usual questions he asked me, did you check in the radiator?? Took a few seconds to kick in and told him no I didn't, he told me to go look there and see if its oily, did as I was told and it was, he then told me the cooler went bad and the oil pump blew the oil in the radiator and the bypass hose blew the water/oil down the side and bypassed the engine compartment, engine and entire machine and dripped it on the ground and when running I never noticed it in the terrain I was in and conditions I was running in. I'll admit I've had coolers go bad before and leak some oil and antifreeze each way and oil samples picked them up and we tracked it down to the cooler being bad, but never pumping that amount of oil in those hours out of the engine entirely. It took hours for the whole ordeal to sink in and made a few more calls to ask what I'd missed in the days, weeks or months leading up this day, was told probably nothing, it just happens and those engines are common for this more so than others, which leads to the question of, how many hours do we run before we swap out the coolers for new, seeing how this engine had slightly less than 4k hours on it total, never really got an answer on that so I'm asking here on HEF, anyone heard of this or am I just that lucky?

Are there better makes of coolers for these engines or does cummins make the best??

It would sure help moral right now if someone would pipe in and say yea its happened to me as well, cause right now I still can't believe it happened in less than a day, my rebuild shop has told me after calling them, its more common than one would think but most won't admit to it happening to them, right now I'm thinking he's just trying to soften the injury to my pride and pocket book. He asked the same thing everyone else did, who was running it when it happened, after I told him I was....................... I swear I heard a chuckle but he tells me I'm wrong, he just has a slight cough he's dealing with.

DIYDAVE

Is the cooler inside, built into the rad? I know you can get aftermarket stand alone oil coolers, And they are good products, just use non-hose clamp type fittings... I'da thought the oil and water would mix, giving you low pressure warning...

Randy88

The cooler is built into the block so to speak and the engine oil filter is built into the unit as well. The way it was explained to me, the engine builds more pressure when running about 50 psi, and the radiator only has up to ten psi, allowing the engine to pump the oil into the radiator, the higher engine pressure won't allow antifreeze to flow back into the engine when its running.

As for a low oil pressure warning, there is none on this machine, never came with one new, only a pressure gauge.

Truck Shop

Oil coolers can take a catastrophic dump at any time. I have had transmission coolers on Eaton/Fuller transmissions take a crap in a heart beat.
Trans is full of coolant and the radiator full of 75x90 synthetic. What a mess.

Truck Shop