• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'67 Ford 4500 new problem, need part number

Armymutt

Replaced the starter and the difference was like night and day. Cranks really fast and didn't wear out the battery. It started with just a little burst of starting fluid. After running for a minute or so, we noticed coolant coming out the overflow "spout" - no hose connected. We opened the cap and coolant was bubbling and flying out of the radiator. We shut the tractor down. I hadn't noticed this previously because the level was low. I added almost a gallon to fill it up today. We're thinking the head gasket is damaged. I'm hoping that this is the only problem. Planning to start taking it apart tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have the alphanumeric part number for the gasket? The NH site just has 82845200. The other sites have numbers like E0NN6051AA. NH wants $62 for one. It's a 1967 3 cylinder diesel.

davo727

Did you buy this tractor non running? If you are pulling the head, take it to a machine shop to be pressure tested also. Hopefully your engine block isn't cracked or having pin holes through the water jacket or cylinder bores. YOu could pull the oil pan and have a look.

Armymutt

It was running, but wasn't being done properly. It was low on coolant, the starter was dragging, requiring the use of starter fluid, and the generator wasn't working. As we correct the problems, more get revealed. The plan is to take the head to a machine shop for resurfacing I think it is called (I'm a veterinarian, not a mechanic). Nothing about pressure testing was mentioned. How would they do that? There doesn't appear to be any contamination of the oil based on the dipstick, and I didn't see anything in the coolant when looking through the fill port in the radiator. From looking at the tractor, pulling the oil pan would require splitting the tractor. Not sure I want to go that far just yet.

davo727

OK if no coolant in oil, hopefully its just the head gasket. The machine shop should have a plate with a rubber gasket that they clamp to the head surface and they block the other holes and pump air into the head and can tell if its cracked or has pinholes.

davo727

You can also toss the generator and voltage regulator and install a gm delco 10si alternator ( $45.00 ) instead

Armymutt

Too late on the generator. Would love to put a Delco part on the tractor. My family has a long history with them both on the engineering side and the line worker side.

Armymutt

We pulled the head and removed the gasket. The pistons wiggle a bit. There's a crack in the block between cylinders 2&3. Looking for a replacement. Anyone know what other models used this engine?

davo727

Well a lot of 4000 tractors , from 1965 to whenever New Holland bought out Ford and up to around 1981 ish. ?? You need a 201 3 cylinder. Some of the other guys can chime in with the other backhoes, Ford and new Holland etc that used the 201. For your next engine Id want to see something running in a tractor or a stand and guaranteed good or a guaranteed rebuild.

Armymutt

davo727

Did you make any calls checking on engines? Due to the age or your backhoe as far as specific help on the engine and tractor portion of your machine theres probably more help in the ford section of the forums at yesterdaystractors site. I have a 1968 ford 4500 without a hoe and I really like it. I did pick up an old IH hoe recently though.

Tinkerer

If you are seriously considering purchasing one of those engines from Gulfsouthequip. give them a phone call and get the details. I would question them with an email, that way all the details are in a permanent record that you can preserve in case there is an after-purchase problem.