• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6640 gehl, thick white smoke at starting

6640gehl

Just an update while I am waiting for my compression adapter to come. I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw a new timing belt on the machine. I didn't know when it was last done either and was hoping it might fix the starting issue. Of course it didn't fix it and the timing belt was new. It had all the lettering on the smooth side yet. I put the new belt and tensioner on and timed it with the pins. I Also pulled the injectors again. To check to see if any of them were showing signs of leaking overnight. All where dry but heavily carboned up.

6640gehl

Took long enough, but I got the compression adapter. my readings in psi are 390,410,400,390. so they are all in spec. It was late last night so I didn't get to finish but I did a leak down test on cylinder 4 and got 62% leak and it sounds like its into the crankcase. So I am going to test the other three cylinders today and see what outcome I get. As of now its looking like a rebuild is in the future.

Nicholas71

Hi 6640Gehl,

I read the topic, now i have the same engine builtin my Shovel . It's a Weidemann 300 bj 2004.

I had this thick white smoke and it started very poorly.
I took it to the shop and they found the problem.

This type of engine has four fuel pumps instead of one.

Now one of the fuel pumps whas broken, so they get a spare.

They changed the bad fuel pump and problem was solved.

Only three turns and there it goes.! ;-)

You might want to check those first before rebuilding the engine.

Good luck,

From the Netherlands

6640gehl

My engine with put out a heavy white smoke for about 30seconds of cranking. Then it'll just fire up and run prefect. Now that it is warm out its actually getting worse then in winter. Is that how your engine was?

Nicholas71

No, My engine didn't start at all.

Now it only cranks three or four times and then it runs.

It does smoke a litlle bit just after starting the engine, but when it runs for a minute or so, the smoke is gone.!

I was thinking injectors too..
If the nozzles aren't seating properly, the fuel in the lines will leak past the "pintle" and drip onto the piston overnite.. hence the white smoke.. unburnt fuel..
PLUS.. its easy and cheap..lol

Hi there Pumpguy i got an 4840 gehl new to this forum. i bought this machine about two months ago and on cold starts it smokes alot of white heavy unburnt fuel for about depending how cold it is outside it can burn white for at least 4 to 12 min and seems to miss fire sometimes and when i slowly rev it up 500rpm above idle it still has heavy white smoke!
when engine is warm it runs like a top no smoke what so ever! machine has 1300hr on it! is this normal for a 2011 3.1L non turbo 60hp Deutz motor?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Its ALWAYS best to check the fuel pressure 1st.. U might have a leak back problem & its just air working its way thru the system.??
"I" would T in a gauge, run it & check the INLET fuel pressure, THEN, let it sit overnite.. look at the gauge & see how long it takes for the pressure to come-up..
It works BEST w a CLEAR hose..
U want to see the pressure rising w/ every rotation of the engine..
IF not, replace the supply pump..
If that doesnt help, the NEXT BEST THING is getting the injectors checked/rebuilt...Dont buy them off the web.. U have no idea what your getting..
BEFORE u pull them out.. TAKE NOTE on which way they go in.!!! Some will allow u to put them in BACKWARDS, & THAT fks EVERTHING up.!!
The spray pattern isnt hitting the top of the piston correctly & it'll white smoke like a "skeeter" truck..
Good luck.

thank you so much for your help i will eventually check the fuel pressure and i will let you know! btw if i did leave it the way it is now, would it put alot of wear on the injectors and other parts?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Well.. the starter is taking a beating.. the batteries too..
IF its a supply problem.. the fuel is draining back.. the pumps rely on the fuel for lubrication..
No fuel = no lube..

Lowe.Buuck

Friend of mine has a 5635 that had similar symptoms (hard starting and lots of white smoke on start up).

It took a while to find the problem. His partner had changed the fuel filter and did not remove the inner seal (the one that goes around the center threaded nipple). He installed a new filter and then had two inner seals stacked.

After removing the "extra" seal, the engine was much happier.