• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

660/666 Cat Scraper info

Track Link

660 Spares.

hi 225 ,you wouldnt happen to know if there was any new front fenders in that old parts shop you visited a couple of years ago? for the 660s.

Bigironjim

Occupation
Lard, wishes, manure, nails, bongo's, flyswatters,
Hello All!
I worker for Quinn mid 80's -early 90's, whatever happened to DW Burhoe out of the Oxnard area? I dont see them mentioned, but they HAD a good fleet of these dinosaurs at one time.
We (Quinn) overhauled several that they (Burhoe) imported from South America while I was there. Also involved in a 641, overhaul and convert to water wagon for J Mansville in Lompoc.

Reuben Scott

i was there at truscott texas brian lake start to end of dirt moveing it was a lot of

at
I was chewing the scraper fat with a old timer many years a go & was mentioned that Granite Const Co bought the last batch of 660B's off the line. The year was was around 1977 & about 10-12 of them. Suppose to have ended up on thier last job on job in west Texas mid 90's.

Caterpillar list 1978 as the last year of production. Any serial number counters out thier happen to know how many were built? Both "A" & "B" models, might be a little hard to get an exact idea as Cat used the same serial number prefix on all the tractors weather they were hooked to a 650,660,666 scraper or as a tractor to pull a trailer from an allied manufactuer. I had an older issue of the HCEA that had a complete list of all the large scrapers built from 1962 to 1984 but can not seem to find it. I'm sure there is a serial number guide out there with it.

Who can claim the fame as the worlds 660 expert?

i was in texas from 1980 -82 started the brian lake in truscott and was there to push the last 660 off the damn ribbons were cut if i remember i was there there scotty where did they all go

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER

I saw one last year in a small repair shop between Ottumwa Iowa and Des Moinse.
It was there for awhile and then it was gone.It looked in operating condition to me.:)

X Quad Operator

I have five Caterpillar 666 scraper brochures, shows all specs on them, one of the five is on the 666B model, give me your e-mail address and I will e-mail them to you.

Mike Nebergall

X Quad Operator

Hi Gavin84w there was an old contractor in california must of started pre 1940 that moved dirt different than most contractors back then, the name of the Co. was Earl Brown he believed in using bottom dumps, he believed in scrapers dumping into the bottom dumps, he made a slat platform, and would drag it any where in the cut and and take loaders and dig out a slot under the slat platform, then he would use DW21's and haul the dirt to the platform, then scraper would stop and dump his load into the bottom dumps, most bottom dumps had two or three traylors. The way Earl Brown would load the scrapers was with DW20 tractors, sometimes four maby five pushing the scrapers all at one time maybe second overdrive you talk about loading the scrapers fast,mabey 12seconds, 15seconds at the longest couldn't hardley get the scrapers out of the ground. eventually he went to 660 tractors loading 651's scrapers loading into 660's with 100 ton athey wagons the 660's would have two 100 ton bottom dumps and usually a 50 ton traylor behind the two 100 ton traylors. Now that was interesting to watch Earl Brown move dirt, after working 12 hours he would then make us move the platform and dig new ramps for the next day. I use to have a earth magazine showing another California Contractor Silva and Hill moving his dirt with a spread of 660's pushing 651 scrapers, they would never push with less than five 660's mostly six 660's the dirt would almost jump into the scrapers. When you would come into the cut with the scraper you had better be ready to cut about 1 1/2 feet deep because the 660's hitting you in second and multiplying that by five or six 660's you would be fully loaded in about 18 seconds. I use to have that Earth Magazine but the X wife got everything in the divorce. Thought you might enjoy this story. Mike Nebergall

SE-Ia Cowman

Hey illiceman I saw that also and stoped but it was a DW20 not a 660 it was between oskaloosa and pella on highwy 163 on the right side.

tctractors

Just thought I would mention we have a few 666's in the U.K. see shop talk for pics, the 1 with the ring of steel above the seat is get a dose of work done to it soon, ready for the " Boot "

Track Link

Any body know of any cat 666 pans/boxes located on the east coast preferably,as cheaper to ship back to uk.?Really only looking for the pan/box to go with the 666 tractor i already have.Any leads/contacts much appreciated,thanks.

X Quad Operator

Good morning I just had a private message sent to me from JTL? I tried to answer and the heavy equipment forum said something about a member problem? yes I'm California Mike, e-mail me your address JTL I hope you get this. Mike Nebergall. Good morning to the present and retired members of this website. I've got a good question for all of you, I ask you tomorrow morning. Mike Nebergall

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Any body know of any cat 666 pans/boxes located on the east coast preferably,as cheaper to ship back to uk.?Really only looking for the pan/box to go with the 666 tractor i already have.Any leads/contacts much appreciated,thanks.

There were some in Pennsylvania years ago, don't know if they're still there. I don't remember which town. I think it was near State College, PA.

cat/d5

hi track link,i am trying to find the way to ship the front unit of cat 666b scraper from east coast to greece.could you give me any possible info about the way you used to ship it to your country?(cost of shipping,shipping company,etc)
i would realy appreciate any info i could get from you since you are the first one who made it.thanks a lot

X Quad Operator

Do you have any used equipment, dealers close? I bought a 980 a few years back out of Japan and it was shipped to L.A. Go talk to them, they have tractors shipped in both directions all the time. Are you restoring or are you a contractor?

Good Luck
Mike Nebergall

cat/d5

have you any idea if there is any of these machines still existing out there?and if so,how could i "contact" them?thank you anyhow.cat/d5

Track Link

Hi cat/d5,does this 666 you are looking to ship have a box/pan with it?.If you send me a pm. i can provide contact details to ship the 666 for you.

lincoln884

Hello dude: Yeah it's been awhile since I've seen these big 660's series around this area. There are a lot of memories from past construction projects were I hung out in my younger days. Johnson Brothers had these on the I-94 project in Minneapolis back in the early 80's, Park had a bunch of these working a industrail site in the northern suburbs back in the early 90's when I was driving taxi. When I started driving over the road in 1998, I did see a few of these around! Keen Transport had a 6 wheel scraper on a lowboy somewhere. I had a whole boxfull of Construction Bulletin magazines with pics of these on construction projects on a lot of the I- system roads and other major construction projects around the upper midwest at one time.

Dutchman

Did'nt Granite bring a bunch of 660's in to build Lake Allen Henry down just south of Lubbock, Texas in the 90's?

lincoln884

lincoln84

Did'nt Granite bring a bunch of 660's in to build Lake Allen Henry down just south of Lubbock, Texas in the 90's?
I was sitting here trying to remember the company that did the I-494 and I-35E projects in the east metro area back in the mid 60's-early 70's! D.H.Blattner & Sons out of Albany, MN. used those 660 and 666 scrapers. I just faintly remember them pulling a semi dump trailer behind them due to the big and deep cuts being made there.

Extractorfan

Occupation
operator earthmoving machines
100,000cu yd's/day they would have moved most of South Yorkshire in a week! Only in America as they say, good luck to ya! Great pics. What project were they working on? I remember going on a tour of America's National Parks in 2006 & travelling to Gillette in Wyoming,saw one of the open coal pits from the highway as we passed by, would have loved to have seen more of the size of equipment & operations, everyone in States polite & welcoming, many thanks.