• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

660/666 Cat Scraper info

992G

I quess I should've read all the posts before asking that question!
Where is that project at in Santa Clarita? Thats where I was working for them at. We were leveling off a mountian and filling in a valley along the 14 at La Placentia (spelling) for a Lowes and Target. (if memory serves me right)

Jason,
These were at Soledad Canyon Rd, west of Whites Canyon Rd. This work that is being done, from what I was told by a person working there, is for a road to be completed.

The place that you were talking about I did drive by, the big dirt work is done there. Just a couple of 627's sitting across from it, they look small after seeing these.

Mass-X

992G, do you happen to have any closer pictures of that D10T with slopeboard?

hktom

ACI 660 from the seat

992G, great pictures from the cul-de-sac! Here is another perspectice, from the seat of an 660. Also from the seat of a 657E, getting a triple D10T push. Different time, different job.

hktom

From the seat

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• PICT9182.jpg
    PICT9182.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,454
  • PICT9188.jpg
    PICT9188.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,461
  • PICT9190.jpg
    PICT9190.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,415
  • PICT9203.jpg
    PICT9203.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 6,874
  • PICT9205.jpg
    PICT9205.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5,471

hktom

Pictures

Here are pictures. Need to go to quad 9 link to see triple push 57's

Attachments

• PICT9212.jpg
    PICT9212.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,807
  • PICT9219.jpg
    PICT9219.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,419
  • PICT9183.jpg
    PICT9183.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,615
  • PICT9216.jpg
    PICT9216.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,393

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Nice pics man. 10-22 was one of the Cats pushing the 51's on the job I was working on. Dont reconize the skinner though.

Kenny R

Beyond AWESOME shots hktom!!!!!!:notworthy Thanks again for the directions to where your at I never did get a chance to make it up there:Banghead Is that cut all done yet??? Love that triple push photo in your other post, I bet that 57 was feelin the burn:cool2

Ken

992G

992G, great pictures from the cul-de-sac! Here is another perspectice, from the seat of an 660

HKTOM,
Excellent pic's, but this was as far as I was allowed to go. Someone got a little jumppy when I was taking the photo's. It got worked out though. I wish I could of had your view, my hat goes off to you. Is this job still going, and if so for how long? Going to be back out there after Xmas and would like to get more pic's. Great ones of the triple 10's. You da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

992G

992G, do you happen to have any closer pictures of that D10T with slopeboard?

I have some close,but not real close, also a little blurry. If you want to pm me with your email, I will be more than happy to send them to you.

pactractor

Occupation
Heavy Equip. owner
I have worked around ACI's 660's, with the new Detriot engines the front ends are lighter so the front springs don't break anymore, they have a lot more power and the Jake Brakes are a great addition when working on hillsides..

rumbles

G,day.....I have just discovered this site and one of the first things to catch my eye was this thread on 660's. In 79/80 I spent nearly 2 years operating a 660 for Thiess at the Tarong power station site in South East Queensland. From memory I think there was 5 on site, about 40 scrapers all up. These 660's I first saw as new machines at Phosphate Hill awaiting to start work when the mine was commissioned. At that time Thiess were building the rail line from Duchess to the mine (this was in 1975). These machines were built another metre in their bowl length and hungry boards on the sides. I dind't have anything to do with phosphate but it must be pretty light. The mine was mothballed and the machinery did not get used so were bought by Thiess.
When I was operating them the hungry boards had been removed. At an early stage of the job they were weighed with a load so that they had a more accurate estimate of what was being moved. My machine came in at 153 tons, can't tell you what the scraper weighed by itself. After 631/633's these machines rode like a limo.
Our haul was about 5 klm. one way and it was 8th gear most of the way. Orders were every and everything gave way to the 660.s. With that weight and speed braking was virtually nonexistent;). Three D9's were used for loading, though at one stage there was a shortage of dozers and two Komatsu 355's were hired (memory is a bit worn, I think they were 355).
Must go....Have a good one....John.

Deas Plant

Those Thiess 660's.

Hi, Rumbles/John.
Welkum too ther 4um.

Would you believe that 4 of those 5 ex-Thiess 660's are still around? And that at least 2 of them are still working regularly around Brisbane? And that there is an 84W D10 often loading them?

I may be teasing now but all of the above is fact.

rumbles

G,day Deas Plant, I started my operating career on the Gold Coast in the 60's. Spent 10 years with Blondells, starting on an old stick shift D7 and going on to their Wabco 111a's. Still have signs of callous on fingers from steering switch:).
Catch you later....John.

Gavin84w

Thanks for the stories Rumbles and welcome to the forum. Those 660B are legendary in the earthmoving world on the right side of the island and from beginnings at the phosphate mine near Isa to Berrima bypass, Mineral Hill, Ulan and i am sure a host of other big Thiess projects they sure have moved some dirt. I was recently given a disc with about 30 pics of them at Berrima being shunted by a Leighton D10, very nice pics.

Deas i had a very quick trip into Brisvegas last Friday but unfortunately 0 time for anything other than work, i was really hopeing to get out and see them, next time i guess.

rumbles

G,day fourdee, thought there would be someone around who could confirm the facts.
Sounds like you may have been there, are you from the high country?
Have a good one....John B....r.

fourdee

Occupation
construction supervisor.
John, Yes I ended up with a 7g a8h and I still have a 9g.Done a lot of Forestry work and also digging dirt on Hume Highway jobs. 9 is resting right now and I am back with Thiess for a while. Getting a bit old to skin Cats now..LOL.. 4D.