• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

657K in action

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Like to hear what the operator reckon,s it goes like.Going to see if i can find the spec,s on it and do some comparing.Does anyone have an idea what the price tag is for one these big buggies.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
20200731_074006.jpg
Like to hear what the operator reckon,s it goes like.Going to see if i can find the spec,s on it and do some comparing.Does anyone have an idea what the price tag is for one these big buggies.
$1.9 million.
$500K if you trade in an older running B.
This running B is worth about a $ 1.5 million credit on a new K.
I ran this machine on a rental job in Palm Desert. It is parked at the shop now waiting to be inspected then cut up. Sad.. I'd much rather run this B than our K.
We already have i and have another 2 on the way.

Reactions: DB2

Welder Dave

View attachment 243118
$1.9 million.
$500K if you trade in an older running B.
This running B is worth about a $ 1.5 million credit on a new K.
I ran this machine on a rental job in Palm Desert. It is parked at the shop now waiting to be inspected then cut up. Sad.. I'd much rather run this B than our K.
We already have i and have another 2 on the way.

Why is it being considered for scrap? Seems worthwhile to keep it even if it needs rebuilding. Maybe even Cat would buy it if they give so much for trade in. Not sure what all models Sureway Construction is using but they have a lot of 657's in their fleet. I know they have a bunch of E's and but might have some B's too. Have heard the owner has bought used 657's in the US so maybe worth giving them a call. I think they have the largest scraper fleet in N. America or used to. Their new shop is impressive! I posted a pic. awhile ago but can't find it.

Fleet - Sureway Construction

Last edited:

RollOver Pete

Occupation
This is a California thing.
This state, in all of its infinite wisdom will come to our yard and verify that a particular machine runs and that the serial numbers are good. I believe that we also have to work or operate the machine so many hours a year. Im not sure what the numbers are.....maybe 1500 - 3000 hrs. Anyways, the motors are pulled and a hole is torched into the block making sure it takes out the crank. Trust me, the good parts of an engine are pulled and used to keep some of the others alive. Whats left over is either cut up for scrap or saved to be used somewhere else. Tires are used on other machines, and of course other parts are used for this and that and , so on and so fourth. I'm not gonna talk about it because it's all bull crap like this state, it's laws and the garbage that results from its completely moronic policies. Example... repowered B's. Sure they run a little better....bla bla bla but thanks to the unreal emissions rules, they run real hot. All of them. Puller fans instead of pusher fans which heats up the cab cooking the operator. It has everything to do with how and where the air to air cooler is located in relation to the radiator and oil coolers. In open cab machines, it heats up the cab and cooks the fool running it. In my case, my leg simply rubbing up against the shift tower gets burned. This is after 2 days. 20210806_185011.jpg

A design issue. The repowered B's have them and the K's are full of them . I don't know about the G's as we only have one. The K... I don't like them. It's always something. Little things. pain in the ass things. Our K only says 657 on the side. They are still
proto-types and are constantly being redesigned to fix the many design issues. Having to add DPF... what a joke....just like this state. I can hardly wait for the zero emissions ( electric) scrapers to come out. I imagine they will be the W (woke) series. it will happen...

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Heres a few of the diggers...

just ignore the description.
I was on a H20 pull that and was likely bored.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
I don't know? They are worth much more being cut up and turned into a new machine than being sold out of state. When is the last time you saw a 40 year old B that was worth more than $1 million? The state gave us more than that for the last one... just because they think the world will come to an end because someone rolled some coal.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
We took in some 631 and 641Bs and 637 ad 647B and Cs a few years back and could only get between twenty and thirty for them and all were used for parts. It hard to believe the state would hand out that kind of money on something that old. Only the biggest companies would rebuild something like that and it would mostly be an experiment, a tax dodge or a marketing ploy. The only place where we see scrapers here anymore are on land fills and parked in one of the big boys yards.

Thanks for the videos!

.RC.

I don't know? They are worth much more being cut up and turned into a new machine than being sold out of state. When is the last time you saw a 40 year old B that was worth more than $1 million? The state gave us more than that for the last one... just because they think the world will come to an end because someone rolled some coal.

Did those politicians ride the short bus to school?