• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

655C Electrical Problems

ken haner

I started with 1 problem... Too slow a roll to start engine even after charging Batt for 3+ hours and a 200amp boost attached to the battery. Battery Voltage reads 12.56vdc on multimeter. With charger attached 14.75vdc. Each cell appears to have solution above the plates and bubbles while charger attached.

While troubleshooting problem #1 with multimeter, I created problem #2. I was attempting to read voltage at starter solenoid while trying to start it. I was able to read ~ 28vdc . I turner off the key. When I turned it back on again, no indication of any power. No battery instrument light, no other accessories work, and nothing when try to start (not even a click). Battery continues to read 12.5vdc. Attaching charger/booster changed nothing.
Checked all fuses. All are good. Swapped srarter relay with another, no change.
I pulled the panel and read voltage on Brown Batt wire to ignition switch, only see ~ 7 2vdc. That seems odd, would expect to see battery voltage, but manual only provides diagrams not expected readings. I continuity checked the switch (batt terminal to start and batt to instruments. All were good). So in my mind, the Battery is good, the switch is operating properly. But I am getting no or incorrect power to the switch and therefore instruments and starting circuits.
I can find no documentation of a fusible link or other fuse between battery and ignition switch.
Any ideas out there?

mks

Occupation
None currently
If the brown wire gets power from the solenoid I’d start there checking the voltage there, the above mentioned and for damaged wire.
Or the same at where ever the brown wire gets power from.

ken haner

Thanks both for the replys. Turns out the hot feed to the starter and the ground to the starter were both a bit loose. This apparently burned out the starter relay and the grounding relays.
FYI do not believe the manual when it says the underfloor main electrical connectors are located for easy access!

Not electrical, but now back to running, noticed boom and dipper arm seem sluggish. Hydraulic reservoir near full, but a bit of froth on top and oil is 'cream' colored. Any ideas if this seems right and if these things are connected?

eKretz

If you have cream colored oil you may have water in it. Could also just be aerated from something like cavitation. Any whining noises? If so, check your hydraulic system filter, may be time for a change. Also make sure the breather on top of the hydraulic oil tank is ok.