• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

644d Brakes Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve931

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
The unloader valve was bad,everything in the valve looked OK but a new valve did the trick.Now the brakes work as they should,this thing like to run me crazy.:usa

pjdiesel

Occupation
excavation
Steve931, how do you like your 644d.i've been looking for a loader for loam and snow looked at a lot of junk. i don't want a detroit or a v8 cummins so i've been looking at newer trojans and john deeres. I have a john deere 540b skidder i've had good luck with that so i've been looking at 544 and 644 b,c and d's. so just wanted to know what you think about them. thanks

LOFAYTX

Occupation
tractor mechanic
How do the Brakes hold up on the JD 644D? Looks like the same parts as the JD farm tractors use. I have seen the farm tractor ones fail with brake material coming off the pads or breaking loose at the rivet area.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
LOFAYTX, should have started a new post instead of piggy backing an old one. While there has been issues with the riveted brakes on the 644D's, the brake failure rate also depends on how the machine is used and how well the oil was maintained in the axles. Replacement brakes for those machines do not use rivets anymore. They have bonded pads now.