• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6 way Dozer Blades

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
Hey guys. Who has or has used a dozer blade on a skid steer? Been looking at them for finish grading and using a laser with a receiver on both sides and operate the blade manually as opposed to the dear as poison other set ups like the fully auto GPS grading boxes and actual skid steer graders. Sometimes things look great but in real life don't work as well as they do in the mind. Dave's dozer has a fully auto one but it's expensive also. As an ex grader operator I see a problem if one side needs to be lifted up and you tilt the blade then on such a short blade the other side will drop and I don't imagine it's easy to maintain correct grade without a lot of corrections. Other option is just a tilting 4 in 1 with receiver each side. Anyone used the dozer blade with good results?? Or have any other ideas without spending a fortune?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If I want to run off an operator put him on a wheeled skid steer with a 6 way blade to grade a parking lot.:D

Seriously, I've had a couple friends that have tried them, a few bought them and all hated them. Basically it's worthless as tits on a boar hog on a skid or CTL - just my $.02. A regular bucket can do the same and more if one knows how to work the machine.

The grader blades with wheels out front are a totally different story for fine grading. I have the Cat box blade with full auto laser and it's a fantastic tool but it is pricey.

On a recent retail project we are finishing up 1 operator spread 10K SF of dense grade base to within 1/2" tolerance in a day with no grade checker. Doing it with a grade checker and hubs would've taken 2 days at least to reach that tolerance.

Depends on what you are doing and how you want it to turn out.

Tags

I will echo CMs comments....I had one, used it on a cat 287B, once or twice. It was awful. It is nothing like running a dozer, you are supposed to use the bucket tilt to raise and lower while grading so the loader arms rest on the stops, it is counterintuitive. You can do everything with the bucket that you could with that blade with a little experience and creativity....

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
Thanks for the feedback guys i think i already knew that but just needed to hear it. I will save the 8g and put it towards something else. Been getting by with the bucket and spreader bar so ill just keep saving my coin till i can afford a decent set up. Cheers

Tags

I would think a tilt tach may be more useful if you’re grading a lot of slopes and contours

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
How I learned to cut ditches and swales with a wheeled skid and a tooth bucket was build up the profile you wanted to get the machine on the angle needed. Cut the ditch or swale and then grade out the build up and the upper side. Works like a charm and no expensive attachment needed.

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
I guess thats where my little machine is handy. With a tilt mud bucket ive managed to build a profile a want the machine to run on a few times and started from there. Still getting used to how it works but slowly gaining confidence in it and think its a handy little bit of kit if i can find the right neich for it

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
PP I assume you are referring to the JCB in your profile pic?

I want one of those - would be handy as a shirt pocket for backfilling curbs and final grade on the projects we do as you always seen to need a CTL and a mini-ex to get into all the places. That machine fits the bill.

JCB is bringing the 1CXT to the US later this year.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The grader attachment works real well. The BC version I think is the best built, not hard to wire for other machines. They take a bit a power and weight to get the most out of them, but worth the money.

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
You mean the bobcat grader?Theres one for sale at a reasonable price at the moment but i wasnt sure weather it coukd be mated to the 1cxt.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am not familiar with the capacity of the JCB. I have the 84" BC grader attachment and it works my 90hp CTL, but it is a great attachment. I counterweighted the CTL just for this attachment. I was able to convert the BC wiring to interface with the control switches on my CASE CTL. I have full control for all functions at my finger tips. Aside from enough power and weight to take full advantage of it, you need enough switches on your control handles to manage all the functions. They have blade side shift, individual up and down for each side of the moldboard and control of the circle both directions. About the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to curl or open up the moldboard.

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
Yeah not sure the 1cxt would have enough auxillary buttons on the controls for all those function. Im sure another joystick could be added ive seen that done for other attachments. Its a shame you cant curl the blade as an ex grader operator its one of the most important functions for minor adjustments in blade height as it raises or lowers both ends simultaneously and on a real grader it gives you aporoximately 4 inches of adjustment when blade is fully curled over for fine trimming. Not the end of the world though im sure it still works great

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
I remember reading a web page that said the US midel will have a turbo powered engine. Nottgat i find the 50hp perkins under powered due to its design it pushes fairly well, but you can never have dnough power i think the 1cxt with a turbo engine would make a handy little machine even better.. be interesting to see if the US takes the machine on as they are not overly popular in Aus i think maybe 14 units sold with a couple of imports.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It is a cool idea, the bigger issue in the States is JCB itself.

Pottypirate

Occupation
Part time operator
Yeah tbey are not real popular over there. Im onky 1.5 hrs from a service and sales centre so its okay. There bsckhoes are very popular here and well made and cheaper to run and maintain then cat or case but i if i was to buy anything other than a backhoe it wouldnt be JCB. Cat still has the market here for larger gear and bobcat is still popular for minis and skid steers