• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

590d or Ex160

zraffz

Occupation
Public Works
I am looking to start excavating in the 2016 season (for insurance reasons because I won't be 25 until July 2015 and want to build up some credit to help reduce it) but am looking for my equipment now. I am not in a rush but have my eyes peeled for a truck, trailer and excavator that I want.

I ran a Hitachi Ex120 for a few years and loved it! we never had issues moving 500 gallon septic tanks but I'd really love a machine capable of setting a 1000 gallon tank so I'm looking to possibly jump up in size to a larger machine.

Out of the 590d and ex160, which is a stronger machine and how readily available are parts for either model?

Deereman

Parts should still be available for both. More so on the ex160. If not, there should be a few junkyards around to find parts in. The 160 is just a newer version of the 590. I've been on both machines. I've also been on a few different 590's. Most of them had over 4K hours and were decent machines for their age. The 160 seems to be a little finer machine while the 590 had the grunt but a tad slower. Really just comes down to which machine you can find for better quality for the price.

zraffz

Occupation
Public Works
Thanks for the response. I just noticed the fuel consumption that Deer lists for the 160LC (can't find one for the EX160) and wow! They claim 3-5 gallons/hour while the 590D is listed at 2-3.5 gallons/hour.

I'm also comparing lift capacity charts between the EX160/LC, 590D and the EX120-3. The 160 is by far the strongest machine on the charts while the 590D and EX120 seem very similar... can that be correct?!

Im only comparing the 120 and 590 because they are right in the same price range while the 160 is $5-10,000 more. It almost makes sense to me to go with the EX120-3 over the 590D for the difference of right around 500-1,000lbs through the lifting capacities if the machine is 6-8,000lbs lighter. I feel like it's not an apples to apples comparison though due to the difference in the length of the booms on the two machines.

I guess my biggest concern is making sure whichever machine I get is capable of lifting aND setting a 1,500 gallon precast tank (I figure right around 12,500lbs)

Last edited:

Tags

I guess my biggest concern is making sure whichever machine I get is capable of lifting aND setting a 1,500 gallon precast tank (I figure right around 12,500lbs)

I'm pretty sure neither machine will be able to pick up AND reach out to set 12000+ pounds. I think you'd be hard pressed to even pick up much more than 6000 lbs with the 120. Unless you can split the tanks and set one half at a time, I don't think a 160 would set it in one shot. If you're going to be doing this all the time and the tanks can be set one half at a time I would go with a newer 160 over the 590. This also all depends on how well the maintainance for each machine has been as well.

FWD

Around here the guys that lift the 1500 gallon tanks which are generally a 2 compartment (500 gallon for the pump part) use a 200 series machine. I have an EX 120 and install septic systems. I always have the delivery truck set the tanks. I always have it so the truck can get in. I think most guys around here do it that way, but occasionally they have to set them with an excavator. With a Hitachi you will have an Isuzu engine and they are the best out there for fuel economy.
FWD

Shimmy1

Just my 2¢, I have a Case 210C. I can pick up the 1500 gal. combo tanks I use, but I will not attempt to set them. Picking and moving is a completely different animal from setting into the hole. If I was going to set them myself, I would have nothing smaller than a 300 size. Now, my tanks could be a little heavier than yours, I guess around 14,000 lbs, but moving and setting something like this, I have heard guys recommend that you have a machine that can handle the load in ANY position. This means a machine that you could hang the tank out on the stick at maximum reach. Might be overkill, but the ditch guys usually have families, too.

YEC1998

Occupation
owner operator
I have a 1998 Deere 160LC that I bought with around 300 hours on it at the time of purchase. It now has over 10,000 hours on with very few problems. It has been a good machine. I have thought about updating it but I think I am just going to overhaul it an continue to use it. the Hitachi is the same exact machine except for the engine and paint. I would highly recommend these machines.

zraffz

Occupation
Public Works
Thanks for the replies guys. I defiantly am not in the market for anything bigger than a 160! As it is, the 160 seems like it might be out of the question due to the huge jump in fuel consumption, purchase price and still not having the capabilty of setting a large tank. I guess I'm going to narrow my selection down to a 590d or an ex120 now because the difference between a $30,000 and $40,000 machine is tremendous to me for just starting out.

I very rarely recall doing a split compartment tank, generally the engineer called for a 500/1000 set of tanks. Not many local guys around here run anything bigger than a 34-35,000lb machine.

Since the 590d and ex120 are pretty comparable in price and fuel consumption I suppose it's time to sit down with the insurance company and decide if:
- I want the 590d, which seems to be a slightly stronger machine, 7,000lb heavier, physically much larger and should probably be pulled by a tandem.
- Ex120, weaker, slightly better on fuel and keep my insurance lower (monthly overhead) by using a single axle and keeping my GVW in class 7 (under 45,000lbs) on the truck.

Looking at the lift capacity charts for the ex120-3 and 590D, can it really be possible that the 7,000lb machine is only capable of lifting 500lbs more (on averave) throughout the range? I understand the 590D has a longer reach and more leverage against itself but even with the shortest arm combination it's not much stronger.

Last edited:

Shimmy1

It's in the age of the machine and technology in the hydraulics. My old 1080B Case could only lift about 10,000 lbs. Machine weighed right close to 50,000. Then, when we upgraded to a 9030B, it only weighs about 45,000, but can easily pick 15,000 up close. I'm guessing this is a pretty fair comparison, since I believe the 590D is a late 80's/early 90's model?

zraffz

Occupation
Public Works
I guess so. The 590 looks like a late 80s machine up to the end of the 90s while the ex120 is a very early 90s machine.
I really wish hitachi/deer made a 130-140 sized machine in the mid to late 90s for me to buy. I'd like to stick to the 30-35 grand price range for my first machine.