• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

590 super l no reverse

LRAD

Trying to help a friend with this, I don’t have heavy equipment background. It was working fine and then went to use it one day and has no reverse, forward ok. He put a new selector lever on column since it was cracked but didn’t fix it. I found that it has power and ground at 4way shift solenoid connector when put in forward or reverse respectively. That connector was at top of transmission on right side. I didn’t have a good ohmmeter with me but seemed to have about 6 ohms for both forward and reverse solenoids. Is my next step to remove that solenoid assembly to check for a stuck valve? Or are there other external inhibits for reverse? Thanks for any help!

LRAD

I did swap the forward and reverse relays with no change. I guess I’m not familiar with the other 2 relays

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
They are marked on the cover but when they go bad usually you don't have either direction. I would check voltage to solenoid and maybe even swap solenoids to see if problem stays in reverse or goes to forward.

LRAD

My test light was bright but I didn’t actually check voltage. Sounds like I’m on the right track digging into the solenoids. Is there anything to look out for when removing them? Appreciate the help!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Nothing really special about removing the solenoids. They may be a bit hard to take off because of corrosion, which may the the issue. Also remove the stem that the solenoids are on I have seen the plunger be stuck and had one issue where the solenoids were hitting the bottom of cab and bending the stem which caused the plunger to stick.

t horn

have the same problem is it the solenoid on top of tramission --- a little forward and rev for a little while then nothing 580n 12 model .thanks for the help . the dealer ant no help in arkansas they just want to sell

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
have the same problem is it the solenoid on top of tramission --- a little forward and rev for a little while then nothing 580n 12 model .thanks for the help . the dealer ant no help in arkansas they just want to sell
I'm glad we could help in our humble way. Where pray tell is Royal, AR?

Tinkerer

Sorry that this is a little off-topic.
All of us have a location at the bottom of our username box.
Click your curser on what ever the location is and Google maps will open it in a new tab.
It is good if a member has his actual town or area address.
Some members have locations that do not exist. I guess forpersonal privacy reasons.
It is sort of useless if only a general location is shown.
If anyone clicks on my location the entire river in Illinois comes up on Google maps.

Last edited:

LRAD

Just an update. Found that when I pulled solenoid connector so I could access and test wiring it checked ok but I noticed the reverse beeper was erratic. After cleaning away some grease I found all 4 wires were bare a few inches into harness. They must have been shorting when installed but not when testing. Replaced wires and working fine. Thanks for help!