• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580sl Question about removing the engine.

Doug580l

According to the service manual, I am supposed to drain the hydraulic fluid when removing the engine. Is that really necessary? I was planning on changing the fluid and filter after re-installing the engine in case any debris founds its way in during the process. I'm not experienced doing this so I am planning to follow the service manual as close as possible but this doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks,
Doug

Welder Dave

Draining the fluid means you don't have plug every single hose you have to disconnect, especially the suction line to the pump. You may have to completely remove hoses like that. How do stop from having a big mess of oil everywhere?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I was planning on changing the fluid and filter after re-installing the engine in case any debris founds its way in during the process.

Technically, the tank is lower than the hydraulic pump, so you wouldn't really need to drain it.
But, if you were going to do it during the course of the job ...... you'd drain it for the engine removal wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Doug580l

Draining the fluid means you don't have plug every single hose you have to disconnect, especially the suction line to the pump. You may have to completely remove hoses like that. How do stop from having a big mess of oil everywhere?

Thanks for the reply,
From what I can tell the only hydraulic hoses to be removed are the ones going to the pump. I changed the pump this year and didn't have an issue with fluid leaking. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Thanks,
Doug

Doug580l

Technically, the tank is lower than the hydraulic pump, so you wouldn't really need to drain it.
But, if you were going to do it during the course of the job ...... you'd drain it for the engine removal wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Ya, my thought was that I would run the machine for an hour or so after re-installing the engine to get any debris to the filter and heat up the fluid before changing it.

Thanks,
Doug

alrman

Occupation
Doug,
If there is any debris that enters the suction pipe, it has to go through the pump & the loader control valve before going to the filter.
Ideally, you just want to clean the entire work area & be very particular about NOT letting any debris into that suction hose area at all.

Curious, why are you pulling the engine?

Doug580l

Doug,
If there is any debris that enters the suction pipe, it has to go through the pump & the loader control valve before going to the filter.
Ideally, you just want to clean the entire work area & be very particular about NOT letting any debris into that suction hose area at all.

Curious, why are you pulling the engine?

I will be as careful as possible keeping the debris out. I just finished pressure washing the engine and engine compartment to make it a little cleaner to start with.

I'm removing the engine because there are cracks on both sides of the frame that need to be welded and I can't get to them with the engine in. Also, while the engine is out I'm going to inspect all hoses, lines etc. and replace any questionable ones since they will be easier to get to.

Thanks,
Doug

alrman

Occupation
Ahh! Been there, done that.....;)
Hope it all goes to plan for you :cool:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
When you reinstall engine and before you crank it up for the first time with hyd. pump attached you need to pressurize the hyd. tank so the pump won't be dry, when engine starts.

Welder Dave

I didn't realize the hyd. tank is lower than the inlet. If oil won't flow out, you could probably leave it filled.

Doug580l

When you reinstall engine and before you crank it up for the first time with hyd. pump attached you need to pressurize the hyd. tank so the pump won't be dry, when engine starts.

Is there an easy way to pressurize the tank? I did it once by cutting up an old inner tube at the valve stem and used a hose clamp to connect it to the tank opening. It leaked pretty bad but it did work. I just had to hurry and get it started before all the pressure leaked out. Maybe I should just get a remote starter.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Is there an easy way to pressurize the tank? I did it once by cutting up an old inner tube at the valve stem and used a hose clamp to connect it to the tank opening. It leaked pretty bad but it did work. I just had to hurry and get it started before all the pressure leaked out. Maybe I should just get a remote starter.
There is a plug in the back of the hyd. tank, remove the battery box cover and you'll see it there. You can adapt fittings to pressurize the tank, I always used a shutoff valve so I wouldn't over pressurize the tank. Sorry for the late reply.