• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580SK Hydraulic Tank Replacement Ideas

Dan Preston

Occupation
Technician
I have a 94 Case 580SK Turbo that utilizes the frame for the fuel and hydraulic tanks. HORRIBLE design!!!!! As they all do my frame/ tanks are cracking. I know I can move my battery and use the left step as a replacement fuel tank location. Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to replace the hydraulic tank?

westerner

I had the very issue. So did a customer of mine. On both, I pulled the engine and welded for a few hours.
Both are gone now, but were dry when they did go.

Dan Preston

Occupation
Technician
Thank you very much for your help. If all else fails that is what i will have to do. I am told that on the 580SK the weakest link is the fuel/hydraulic tanks repeatedly cracking & needing repair. It is my hope that someone out there has found a location to successfully install a hydraulic tank & avoid this constant repair. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

westerner

It was a surprise just how quick and easy the engine came out. I did both jobs in my shop, in the wintertime. I took the front bucket off to allow my cherry picker to get a straight shot at stuff.
I originally tried to weld up the cracks with the engine in, but results were as you would expect when you try to weld something you can't see:confused:o_O