• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580M series 2 fuel in oil

S.Savage

I have a 2004 580M leaking fuel into the oil.. I have no idea what to do next.. help

S.Savage

I will try that 1st.. that doesn't seem to hard to change.. I'm hopeful it's not the injection pump.. I'm a little intimated pulling the pump..

S.Savage

Ok.. thank you.. I have another question.. I bought it yesterday in the Bahamas.. where it is and where I'm at is about 40 miles.. Can I road it to my land.. or do I need to have it pulled down..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Your engine should be a Case/Cummins (CDC) ..
Look up Cummins engine barring tool.. it’s an external. splined socket that engages the flywheel and has a cut out on the other end for a 1/2” drive ratchet..
Best idea ever.!!

S.Savage

Lol.. thank you .. I got it hauled down here today.. gonna start messing with it tomorrow.. thanks again for everyone's help

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
It's on the back. It's a CNH pump.
Ok, you actually have an Iveco engine. Those IP's are known to self destruct. There is an access plate on the back of the bellhousing it has three bolts 10mm head. You will need a small puller such as a steering wheel puller to pull the drive gear on pump, it's held on with a nut I think it's like 7/8" or 22mm. The barring tool mentioned in prior chats won't work on this engine. But you can turn it either by using the front crank pulley. Case does make a special tool that goes in place of the starter and using a barring tool. There is a timing pin under the IP. There was a service bulletin on timing the engine because some of the timing pins were drilled wrong. But just get the pump off and get it fixed.

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I might add.....These injector pumps have no woodruff key to locate the timing gear, so it is critical to set the engine to TDC using the timing pin (which you will have to buy or make) BEFORE you remove the injector pump.
The IP when repaired, will come back to you locked in the TDC position ready for installation. - Just don't forget to UN-lock the pump after install!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I should say, it's well worth inspecting & replacing the primer/lift pump before you give the injection pump any attention.

S.Savage

Yes.. I'm going to replace the lift primer 1st. Hopefully that fixes it.. I'm back in the states ordered a lift primer and front power steering seals for it today.