• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580M Bell Housing Hole

Bootheal

Just noticed this opening last night. It’s a threaded hole, maybe 1” pipe thread, under the machineIMG_0151.jpeg.

Does it need to have a plug inserted to keep dust and dirt out?
What possible damage to expect? Will be interesting getting the threads cleaned out.

Thanks, Mike

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
They were open from the factory and I have never seen a bad result from leaving them open. If you choose to plug it, I would prefer a vented plug, that's just a personal opinion.

56wrench

Some engines use a plug with a ‘jiggle’ pin in it. This lets it vent but keeps rodents and dust out

Bootheal

I will do one or the other. Not sure how much room before the front drive line might come into play.

Going to have to figure out how to clean those threads first.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
A small wire wheel on a dremmel. If you dont have a dremmel, put a little wire wheel in a drill.

Drinnling a hole in the moddle of a plug, it it is the correct type of thread, would be the best bet. I would insert a cotter pin prior to installing the plug, and bend the wings from the bottom. As the engine runs, the pin will vibrate and self clean the hole, so it doesnt plug up.

Bootheal

Super idea. This will be the plan. Dremel also is a good idea. Need a flex shaft but Lowes should have that.

Awesome. Thanks for all the ideas.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The small plug from a 44 gallon oil drum screws straight in there.
No harm in leaving it open on a hoe.

Have had problems with crawler dozer/loaders that use the Cummins 4b/6b.
When they sink into a deep, wet bog hole, the mud would enter that hole, go up behind the flywheel & enter the crankcase via the rear engine oil seal.
That senario creates a little chaos.... :rolleyes:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
More important things to fuss about. Almost every bell housing has a hole like that. How else will you tell if your main crankshaft seal fails or transmission starts leaking?

Funny story. I had a customer tap and plug the weep hole on his 3406B water pump so he could fix that damn coolant leak. How dare the factory drill a hole in his engine just so it would leak.