• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580L oil capacity?

tylermckee

Anyone know the oil capacity for a 580L backhoe? changing the oil on all our equipment that thats the only one i dont know how much it takes.

edit: engine oil

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Drain the oil into a clean bucket you can see how much oil was in the engine it will give you a idea on how many gallons its going to take.

Its a little Cummins engine it prolly doesn't take much more than 3 imperial gallons of oil. What I usually do is fill the engine up till it shows on the dip stick fill it up to the fill line. Start the engine so the filter fills up then recheck it or you may want to prefill the oil filter but then again you are running a litre of unfiltered oil through the engine.

tylermckee

Ford LT-9000 said:
Drain the oil into a clean bucket you can see how much oil was in the engine it will give you a idea on how many gallons its going to take.

Its a little Cummins engine it prolly doesn't take much more than 3 imperial gallons of oil. What I usually do is fill the engine up till it shows on the dip stick fill it up to the fill line. Start the engine so the filter fills up then recheck it or you may want to prefill the oil filter but then again you are running a litre of unfiltered oil through the engine.
I know how to figure it out once i drain it, i just want to know so i can run to our oil distributer and pick up all the oil i need at once. ill just figure on a 5 gall bucket for it, having extra oil around is never a bad thing.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
See if the bulk station your buying the oil from will give you guys a deal on pails of 15w-40. If you have quite abit of equipment to change the oil on buy a drum of oil it should be a little cheaper.

The contractor I worked for used to buy Rotella 15w-40 5-10 pails at a time the one truck with Detroit power needed a pail for itself because it changed its own oil.

tylermckee

we only have 3 excavators (a 140, 160, and one old POS 120 that never gets used) a mini, the backhoe, a little tractor, and the dump truck. with only 2 operators, and one of them hardly ever is in the seat, we dont have to change it that often. i just pick up a bunch of 5 gall buckets.