• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580K ph3 Torque converter housing

mitch504

My 580k phase 3 lost it's front driveshaft and knocked the transmission oil filter off. It broke the hollow threaded piece that the filter screws onto. It was getting dark and starting to rain, so I haven't looked at it real close, but it looks like a piece similar to a pipe nipple screwed into the filter base (but that's probably wishful thinking). The parts diagram shows the torque converter housing all one piece. Have any of you ever worked on this?

Just for what it's worth, the housing is A186703, $886.52, discontinued. I am sure I can find a used one, but I'd rather fix mine if possible.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I have seen this type of accident be repaired by a steel fitting being installed into the convertor housing.
I'm not certain however, if the steel fitting was simply purchased or fabricated.
I would be inclined to remove & strip the housing to do the drill & tap....

mitch504

That is what I am thinking. I was hoping you would tell me it was already threaded during manufacture, and I just had to machine a fitting, but, oh well.:(

Thanks alrman

mitch504

Another thing, I saw your comments in a different thread about not coasting with a ph 3 transaxle. I basically have no choice but to flat tow this thing to get it away from where it is, (on the shoulder of a busy highway). I can tow it .3 miles (.48 Km) and immediately load it on a hired lowboy, or I can tow it 1.5 miles (2.4 km) and do whatever I want at my convenience.

So, my question is, does the prohibition against coasting apply to flat towing slowly, with both gearshifts in neutral and the engine off?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
To be honest I can't really say, as that scenario is not one that has caused a problem that I know of.
I would think a slow tow, with no real temperature being created would be ok to do, but I would opt for the shorter distance, just to be on the safe side.

mitch504

Thanks alrman.

Tinkerer, it's a 580k ph3, the pieces of the front driveshaft are laying in the bucket, the only other driveshaft runs from the transaxle to the torque converter.