• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580k oil cooler is a leaker

whatwas

Hi
I've put up with a small oil leak from the front of my K but it got more serious, so I removed the oil cooler and found the manifold type of piping at the bottom is rotten. Before I start hunting for a new or used one, is the 580k cooler unique to this model or did case use this cooler on other models?
Thanks

fpgm04

In my part books, the Case part number for a 580K oil cooler appears to be only listed for 580K and 580SK models.

whatwas

Thanks Tinkerer,
I read that post and as usual.....learned something from arlman.
I called our case dealer and priced a cooler.....yikes!! my tractor has no aux hyraulics so they said I could get away with the lighter duty cooler, but it still sucks. The rad part of the cooler is fine ,its just the steel manifold parts at the bottom thats rotten (full of dirt and pine needles) I know somewhere there's a box full of those manifolds that you could re-solder on, but .................
The case parts guy warned me about getting a used on by saying, "you allready have a used one"

Scottyboy

Occupation
cabinetmaker
whatwas,

I happen to have what I think you're looking for. My 580K Phase 1 oil cooler was leaking when I bought the hoe. At first just a little, but then within just an hour or two, it was leaking badly. So I pulled it for repair. When I got it out, I found it had been patched a bunch of times, but mostly in the main part, not many repairs in the top/bottom. I judged mine as not worthy of repairing, couldn't find a used one bit the bullet and put a new one in. However, the old one is still sitting there, and you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping if you want it. I was going to let little brother scrap it, but would rather see it go to a worthy cause. Check with others on here who have much more knowledge/experience to tell you if what you want to do is a reasonable idea.

johnny_waz

Occupation
Engineering
Have you taken it to a radiator shop to see if it can be fixed?

whatwas

Scottyboy,
wow, thanks for the offer. i,ve been offline for a week (not by choice) and have since got a new cooler. It was $800 with tax but what can you do?The guy at the rad shop said "no, sorry" because it wasn.t the rad part that was toast, it was the manifold piping at the base. Anyway, will install it tomorrow if winter ever decides to pack it in.

Scottyboy

Occupation
cabinetmaker
Whatwas,

I think you made the wise choice. Yeah, it's a hard pill to swallow shelling out that kind of dough for something that looks similar to a radiator, and you think should cost less than half what they want for it.

I had a little difficulty getting mine in. You may want to make sure you have the four fittings squared up really well. I somehow started to cross thread a couple of them. Fortunately, I realized before I'd gone too far. However, I still had to pull it and "chase the threads". I'm generally pretty good at not screwing up threads, and have become decent at chasing them due to other folks mistakes, so this surprised me. Maybe
I was just having an off day. It was sunny and in the mid 60's here today - too bad it was a work day.

Last edited: