• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580k earth auger options

Dan580Ks

Hello group, this is my first post. I have a new to me 580k phase 3. It has all options available in 1990, including leather wrapped tilt wheel:), and touch screen. It is a machine Case displayed and offered at one of their sponsored rodeos. I am the second owner of the hoe. Other than sun damage, and a little movement at the swing pins/bucket, it is like new. it was used to compete in rodeos, and did sit a lot. About 2000hrs.
I would like to mount an auger for fence posts and pole barn poles. No rocks here. 9” auger max.
If I run it with the extendahoe hydraulics at 26 gpm, that size head at case is 5k, just the head, and way overkill. The tractor also has the auxiliary quick connects at the rear fender, with 4 or 5 flow settings, from 8pm to 26 gpm. So, could I get a much smaller and cheaper low flow head, and somehow use these Outlets? I also have a 4in1 bucket, but that would still be 26 gpm right?
Thank you

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I would think since you have aux hyd. connectors already I'd use them. You can search online for what bore head you'd want to use.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Dan! Glad to have you.

Now you're going to have to post some pics of this special machine - I want to see it! :)

JBrady

I would just buy a skid steer auger and then figure out how to attach the head to the backhoe. 26gpm is probably about right for most of those. Mine is a low/standard flow auger and my skid steer easily does 25gpm+ on the standard flow setting. It has drilled everything I have asked it to. I paid somewhere around $1500-$2000 several years ago. If I recall it just has one big pin between the drive motor and the attachment plate for the skid steer. The other option would be to hang it off the front bucket off to the side so you can see it as you are drilling down.

Dan580Ks

I don’t want one sized for 26 gpm. Too expensive and overkill for my needs. If you got one for 2k even 2 years ago, you are looking at at least double that now. Half for 12gpm head. I guess I need to change the question.
How can I utilize my variable flow aux valve to power a smaller head mounted on the boom? I can run hoses back to it, but not sure how to turn flow on and off. Does the head need a no restriction return to sump line, or just hook up the two aux lines? Maybe no one has used these Aux valves before? I see jackhammers and chainsaws are powered by it.
My other option is mounting one on the front of my 15gpm tractor.
that would require mounting a third function valve. $1600 installed.
12 gpm head with quick attach, $3200. It is Hay season, so busy shop, and looking at a month wait. I do not have time to mount myself.
I need to learn more about this variable flow valve.
I will get some pics. Thanks

JBrady

My backhoe doesn't have any aux hyd valves so I'm not familiar with how they work, but I can't imagine they don't already have some valve there. Like you said, they run jackhammers and chainsaws off of them, and those aren't just running all the time while the backhoe's engine is running. If the two lines on the backhoe's aux circuit are the same size, I'd say you would be fine to just hook up your lines from the auger and use whatever valve Case provided for you to control on/off and direction.

56wrench

Some augers or other hydraulic attachments need a case drain that must be plumbed back into the reservoir with zero backpressure otherwise the hyd motor will blow seals

Dan580Ks

This is aux. I was thinking of using, however, I am going to bite the bullet and get a head rated for 25gpm, and use the ext. hoe hydraulics. thanks

Attachments

• 20230729_111035.jpg
    20230729_111035.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230731_105910.jpg
    20230731_105910.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11