• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580CK, Spend it, Send it, Sell it

Wild_Bill

Good day Fellas,

Hope y'all are enjoying the weather this fine Spring. I'm new here so i apologize if this ain't the right place to post this.

Gonna be helping an ol buddy of mine with his 580ck, 188D. Hasn't seen any love in the last few years, and is needed for one more project before he sells it. Money is tight as can be so unfortunately other than filters and fluids we're kinda looking for the cheap fixes.

I know that's probably the opposite of what y'all wanna hear, and dont get me wrong i'd much prefer doin things by the book, but push has come to shove. And being that my experience is more on the automobile side of the vehicle spectrum, i could really use the advice.

So - in general with these old beasts, is there any sort of unwritten best practice for short term leak stops and system cleaners for oil, fuel, hydraulics, coolant, etc? Never been much a fan of snake oil myself, but that dont rightly mean there aint something out there that says 'miracle' on it that might do the trick hehe.

Thanks a ton guys,

Bill

franklin2

Nothing is going to stop a cylinder from leaking except replacing the seals. No too difficult to do yourself, and for my 480c they are around $30 for a kit to do a cylinder on ebay. Nothing is going to help a leaky hose except replacing it, I have never done that yet, but you can get them done locally.

You will have to list each problem you have, and ask what would be the best solution, some problems have different solutions and some only one.

Delmer

what do you want to clean? Change the oil when it needs it and change the hydraulic, and transmission filters IF they need it.

What franklin said on the leaks, keep filling it or fix it right. Don't waste time or money on stop leaks.

Wild_Bill

All good advice fellas thanks. The one thing that makes me the most nervous is the Fuel Injector Pump keeps dripping while the things just sitting there. Not running or nothin.

Seems to be a good 1/16" Axial shaft play on the lever retaining screw, as shown below. Anyone got a better exploded view than the other pic from the manual? also attached

upload_2018-6-12_14-32-58.pngupload_2018-6-12_14-42-34.png

i hesitate to just try and tighten that screw...

thanks guys

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Unfortunately the only way to repair the leak on the pump is to replace the throttle shaft seal and should be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Wild_Bill

Unfortunately the only way to repair the leak on the pump is to replace the throttle shaft seal and should be done by someone who knows what they are doing.
yea i was afraid of that. saw a few threads of people paying good money for pump rebuilds. $500-700 if i remember correctly

franklin2

Do you have a valve that can shut the fuel off to the pump when it's sitting? Only thing is, that could make it hard to start next time you go to run it.

Wild_Bill

Do you have a valve that can shut the fuel off to the pump when it's sitting? Only thing is, that could make it hard to start next time you go to run it.
Hmm didnt think of that. But the last thing I want to do is make it harder to start.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I've had 2 done in the past they drilled it and installed a bushing 2 different pump places but the bill was the same $ 125.00 each time.