• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580C Transaxle- whats on my gears?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The second pin is a keeper so the lock pin doesn't come out. You'll notice they're different made pins, the lock pin is solid and the keeper is a spiral roll pin.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Must be mine were removed previously, that's all I had was the 2 inch pins...They were tight going back in and I centerpunched the ends, seemed to do the job..Is that going to be an issue? I sure as hell don't feel like a redo for those stinkin' pins....

stinky64

Occupation
Maybe my service manual is an earlier edition as is my machine, but the illustration on page 6214-36 shows only 1 groove pin in pinion pin for both 480C and 580Ccenter wheel..What gives??

DirtyHoe

Coy- Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes the assembly drawing in the parts manual is wrong in terms of what order the parts are to be assembled.
Based on the lengths of the two different pins, below is what it would look like assembled. Each pin would engage in almost half of the hole. I listed the Case part numbers in the drawing. The keeper pin would only stop the 2-inch pin on one side of the through-hole. But the 580D parts manual uses only the 2" pin(same part number as the 580C).

Stinky64- I hear ya, I only want to do this once too. The service manuals for the 580B, C, & D only talk about driving in one pin, not two. Confusing. I'm tempted to use just one 2" pin. Thoughts?

Steve

Top view.JPG

Last edited:

DirtyHoe

Finished repairing both bull gears today. I pre-heated and ran several TIG passes around the circumference. The accuracy of TIG welding made it really easy to stay out of the splines. The outside gear is very hard, but the center hub area and splines are soft. I get lucky once in a while.
They were too big for the lathe so I machined them flat on the mill with a carbide cutter.

The next items on the to-do list are ordering the rest of the parts, hot pressuring washing the castings, and maybe some paint.

Steve

20210202_180645.jpg 20210202_193349.jpg 20210202_193447.jpg 20210203_142744.jpg

stinky64

Occupation
That's pretty slick bullgear repair, I used a red box welder and did my fancy grinding with a dewalt grinder centered in the hole...Yours should work better than factory....