• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c trans oil?

David storm

what oil do I need in the transmission on my 1980 580c?
ive read post saying hydrolic and other post saying gear oil. I'm thinking hyd. if so is the stuff tractor supply sells ok?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
what oil do I need in the transmission on my 1980 580c?
ive read post saying hydrolic and other post saying gear oil. I'm thinking hyd. if so is the stuff tractor supply sells ok?

If I recall correctly, a 580 C could have either a clutch or a power shuttle before the transaxle. To be sure you're getting the correct answer, you need to verify whether by "transmission" you mean the power shuttle or the transaxle. (The fact that you mention both hydraulic fluid and gear oil leaves some room for multiple interpretations.)

If you're sure of which you mean, go by the table tinkerer posted above.

David storm

it has what I believe is called hydrostatic drive,does that meen that it uses the oil in the trans to druive it? it has a lever to change direction,no cluch just brake pedals.has a 4 speed. I have to turn it off to change gears,is that normal? what type would it be transmission,power shuttle or transaxle? I'm thinking TCH fluid is hydrolic,is that correct?

thanks alot

RDC_580C

That's a power shuttle, and it takes the TCH fluid. The fill/check tube is above the starter and it needs to be warmed up and running before checking it, same as doing a car/truck with an automatic. Get the Premimum TSC fluid if you use it for the Shuttle, not the plain TSC Hydraulic fluid.

You can just shift the lever into Neutral quickly to change gears, or look into why the Cutout floor switch (the one under the Left and Right brake pedals) and Cutout Solenoid (on the shuttle) are not working, as pressing that does the same thing as shifting into Neutral with the lever to change gears. Just make sure you're not shifting the thing into Neutral while on any hills as gravity will take control of the thing quick.

Last edited:

David storm

Thanks for the info.

Now I have another problem, we did a brake job on it 2 weeks ago,was simple,just removed the brake houseings and replaced the linnings,replaced the master,slave cylinders and it was fine but it was leaking some oil so we figured we would just drop everything again and replace the seals. we took both sides off at the same time which I'm presuming now was pretty stupid because now the gears going through the housing for the brakes are loose and wobeling around inside the housing.
My question is have we messed up bad or will the gears go back in place? is it possible that something could fall out of place inside the power shuttle?

RDC_580C

The Shuttle is before the Transaxle, which is where the brake housings are, so it's not going to be effected at all. Front to back, it's Engine - Flywheel - Flexplate - Torque Converter - Shuttle - Drive shaft - Transaxle (which has the TRANSsmission, differential, bull gears and AXLEs in it)

It's easier to do one side at a time, but I had both sides off of mine when I did the brakes and seals, and it all goes back together. Just make sure you put all of the shims (those thin metal sheets that are between the Transaxle and bearing carriers) back on the same side they came off off, unless you're also getting into the fun of checking and redoing all of the backlash and preload there for the differential.

David storm

Thanks for the info,glad to hear that it will go back together. I have every thing set in order so hopefully it will work again.

David storm

It did go back in ok,thank God.
the reason I asked abought the transaxle oil is because when we did the brakes we used the trans/hydraulic oil from tractor supply for older tractors. after that someone told me it needs gear oil and I read a post online saying that to. had me thinking because the transaxle is full of gears.
So is the Trans/Hydraulic oil for older tractors from Tractor supply ok to use?

David storm

I just read the fluid and lub chart. it says the transaxle does use gear oil. my brake houseings are on the transaxle,i think.
there on the rear housing were the back axle/wheels are and the 4 speed shifter. they stick out just in front of the axle.
so please explain,Does it need gear oil or hyd? i'll try to find a a diagram showing my 580c parts

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I don't know about the quality of the oils from Tractor Supply vs any other vendor, but yes, gear oil goes in the transaxle.

Think of a four wheel drive pickup. You use ATF in the automatic transmission. That's the equivalent of your 580's power shuttle using Case TCH or the Tenneco Hytrans Fluid mentioned in the chart. Behind that, your transfer case and front and rear differentials would like nice thick gear oil, not something thin like ATF. That's the equivalent of your transaxle needing a 90 weight gear lube.

David storm

sorry for being ignorant, it is the transaxle so it does use gear oil according to the chart. I actually thought it uses the transaxle oil to drive it so I figured it needed hyd oil for that.
So does it use the same hyd. oil that operates the cylinders to drive it ?
sorry for being stupid,im just a back yard mechanic, but that don't mean I can't fix it

RDC_580C

The Transaxle takes 80/90W gear oil, takes a whole 5 gal bucket, per the chart that Tinkerer posted already, also been there done that on mine. That check/fill tube is right behind the gear shifter on top of the Transaxle.

The Power shuttle needs the TCH fluid, HyGuard or TSC Premium Trans/Hydraulic oil (never plain hydraulic fluid in the power shuttle, unless you're in a pinch and then drain/refill with the proper fluid)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
So does it use the same hyd. oil that operates the cylinders to drive it ?

The same type of oil is specified, yes. But it's not in a common reservoir.

sorry for being stupid,im just a back yard mechanic

You're not being stupid, you just don't have all the information, yet. That's why we're all here. :)

I have a 1982 580D, and I'm finishing a complete brake job (bands and expanding drums, not disks as with the turbo model) with all new brake parts, new seals, new actuators, new lines, new housings, etc. I agree with the previous post about being careful with the shims that set clearance and slip differential release pressure. I could not find replacement shims anywhere, so treat them as if they are made of gold.

Anyway, can I use GL-5 90W gear oil in this transaxle? The book calls for GL-4 90W (80W depending on temperature outside). There are conflicting stories about GL-5 ruining "Yellow" metals.