• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c stuck in gear

Wayne knight

Occupation
Retired
Hello everyone in new to the site, backhoes
I recently got ahold of a 78 case 580c-k
Guy who drove it last (10 yes ago) said when he was driving it he had to force it into gear an he sheared a pin, ear off the shuttle cover. So it’s stuck in gear with shuttle cover off for many years and I need to get it out of gear to be able to have it loaded onto trailer to get it home. Also only runs on starting fluid so need to clean all fuel parts up. Can anyone tell me how to get it out of gear to move it ?

Attachments

• 2C70AE2E-565A-4486-A071-6D88BA038B28.jpeg
    2C70AE2E-565A-4486-A071-6D88BA038B28.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 2D6C3217-CF34-4F96-8BC1-1C72884FFD63.jpeg
    2D6C3217-CF34-4F96-8BC1-1C72884FFD63.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 774EB3F8-45C6-4A6B-8596-47CFB5EF1946.jpeg
    774EB3F8-45C6-4A6B-8596-47CFB5EF1946.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 45

RDC_580C

Last pic there, the second thing from the left is one of the two shift collars. You need to slide that one to the right a little bit. Not too far or it will lock into another gear, just up to the synchronizer (brass gear) there and then the trans should be in Neutral. You may need to rock the machine a bit if it doesn't move freely as it could be bound up from things being turned a bit putting pressure on them.

If it's still stuck in gear after that, you'll need to move the other shift collar to it's center position, and that one is right in the middle of that shaft, kind of buried in there but you can see it in the pic.

Watch out for stuck brakes as well once you have the Trans in Neutral.

Last edited:

Wayne knight

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the info I will give that a try.
Also I forgot got to mention that the driveshaft has been removed.

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Wayne !
Assuming the broken pieces are still down in the transmission somewhere you may need to be concerned about one of them causing damage when moving the machine.
Ooops you and I were typing at the same time.
Do you have a service manual for it ?

Wayne knight

Occupation
Retired
I was able to pull drain plug and fish out all the pieces that seem to be missing off the cover and the sheared pin. The tow company I have coming to haul it are charging me $100 a hour to move it 5 miles to my house so I’m trying to get it to roll to save them sometime and me some money.

joe--h

If the drive shaft is out it will roll no matter what gear it's in.

Wayne knight

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for all the info guys
I believe I have found all the broken pieces by matching them up with what’s broken on the cover, pins missing.
Tow company says they can 100,000 lbs but fingers crossed it works.
I was able to crank engine and lift bucket, back hoe up to lock it down. Was all able to get front wheels to turn by cranking it over.

RDC_580C

580C is 2wd. Driveshaft is from the Shuttle to the Transaxle. If it was going to be towed with the rear wheels off the ground would be no need to get it in Neutral. ;)

joe--h

First picture is 2WD. Probably gonna need a starter after all that cranking.
Joe H

Tinkerer

The second line in Wayne's opening post says 580C-K.
That is what threw me off the fact he has a 580CK.
Sorry for the confusion.
Wayne, a low boy is low deck trailer pulled behind a semi tractor.
There is no better way to move a disabled T/L/B. IMHO of course

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Hello everyone in new to the site, backhoes
I recently got ahold of a 78 case 580c-k
Guy who drove it last (10 yes ago) said when he was driving it he had to force it into gear an he sheared a pin, ear off the shuttle cover. So it’s stuck in gear with shuttle cover off for many years and I need to get it out of gear to be able to have it loaded onto trailer to get it home. Also only runs on starting fluid so need to clean all fuel parts up. Can anyone tell me how to get it out of gear to move it ?
My advice to you is to quit running it on starting fluid, if the fuel pump is not delivering fuel and it don't start you will break the ring lands on the pistons'.make very sure you have fuel to the injectors before using starting fluid,, A friend of mine destroyed a Kubota in a Gehl skid steer doing just what you are doing, by the time he called me in on it it did not have even enough compression to lock up on starting fluid.

Wayne knight

Occupation
Retired
Yes I agree only tried it once to make sure it wasnt locked up.
Ordered new injectors, injector pump rebuild kit and all filters.

Wayne knight

Occupation
Retired
Tinkerer not to sure about the 580ck however I looked up the serial number and it said 1976 580c-k ? All I really know is that it is definitely 2wd. Just wanna get it home so I can stop trying to get it going in a field. At least at home I have access to all my tools rather than what I can carry in back of my truck.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The above pictures show a 2wd 580C
@Wayne knight stop using the k & the confusion will also stop ;)
To be precise it's a 580C Construction King as are all Case hoes from early CK to K ..... but who calls them that?