• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580C steering problem

TLR15

Occupation
Firefighter
I did a little searching on the forum but can't find a solution to my problem.

I worked the backhoe all weekend digging my leach field. The steering on the machine is slow to react. It also seems I've got to turn the wheel two or three turns to get the wheels to turn. Beside that the thing runs great!

Any ideas?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I would start by resealing the cylinders.

TLR15

Occupation
Firefighter
I forgot to mention that one of the steering cylinders is new and I have a brand new spare that came with the machine. I'll replace the other one and go from there.

Thanks

csthompson12

Did the new cylinder fix your steering problem? I am having similar problems on my 580c. I have to turn the wheels a few rotations to get it to start turning, and even then it turns hard like there is no power steering. If I rev the engine quite a bit, its does start to have power steering. I ordered a seal kit for the steering cylinders. I am also getting a pump. My power steering reservoir goes down with no apparent leaks, and the motor crankcase oil goes above full, so I believe it leaks power steering fluid into the crankcase of the engine.
Has anyone had success resealing those steering cylinders? I couldn't decide weather to buy new ones, or try and rebuild. Hard job to rebuild? I guess if it dosn't work I can just get new ones.

Tinkerer

The steering cylinders are quite easy to rebuild. The seal kit is relatively inexpensive. The piston ring does not come with the seal kit. It is only available installed on a new piston. The Power steering pump leaking should not be too difficult to fix. It looks like a simple O ring replacement on the input shaft. Just be careful keep all the parts in order upon diss-assembly. Also could someone that has a cylinder apart measure the piston Outside diameter ,the thickness of the piston and the hole for the rod ? The reason I ask is that the piston for my 680C is $77.00 and the 580c piston is about $53.00. Vendors on Ebay are listing seal kits that supposedly fit both tractors. I am wondering if the pistons are in fact the same size.

Last edited:

csthompson12

Thanks, I'll try rebuilding those powersteering cylinders. You're right that the rebuild kits do not come with the piston and ring. I guess i'll see If its bad when I dissasemble.
As for the pump yoru right, that o-ring dosn't look too bad to replace, But I am thinking that the pump is no good. It has run dry many times, due to the leak, which I am sure can't be good for it. I now have no power steering at idle, but I do get a little power if I rev the motor quite a bit.

Tinkerer

This is the perfect tool. I have a set of them and they are worth the money just to prevent the frustration of fighting the seals without them. They have different sizes available.

Attachments

• new-hydraulic-cylinder-rod-seal-installation-tool-auto-08b5.jpg
    new-hydraulic-cylinder-rod-seal-installation-tool-auto-08b5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

TLR15

Occupation
Firefighter
Did the new cylinder fix your steering problem? I am having similar problems on my 580c. I have to turn the wheels a few rotations to get it to start turning, and even then it turns hard like there is no power steering. If I rev the engine quite a bit, its does start to have power steering. I ordered a seal kit for the steering cylinders. I am also getting a pump. My power steering reservoir goes down with no apparent leaks, and the motor crankcase oil goes above full, so I believe it leaks power steering fluid into the crankcase of the engine.
Has anyone had success resealing those steering cylinders? I couldn't decide weather to buy new ones, or try and rebuild. Hard job to rebuild? I guess if it dosn't work I can just get new ones.

I haven't had the chance to work on it yet. I'll update when I do.

Dan Nunley

My 580 C was turning left easily and to the rght you had to spin the wheel a while to get it to turn right. Rebuilt the steering cylinder on right and corrected problem. Was not difficult to do once I got the parts.