• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c questions

AndrewK

Just picked up a 1977 580c last Thursday and have a few questions. I tried searching and do not have a manual for the machine, so I figured time to start a thread.

#1. Sitting facing the hoe, there is a "T" handle dead center just under the controls. It's part of the hydraulics. Anyone know what it's for?

#2. I have pegs or switches? at the toe end of the foot swing pedals. I haven't seen these in any other pictures of other machines. Anyone know what they are?

I'm brand new to all of this and I greatly appreciate the knowledge I've found on this site. I've been able to bring this beauty back from the dead with what I learned here so far! Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute something instead of just taking. :notworthy

Andrew

AndrewK

Here's a picture of the "T" handle. I'll try to get one of the foot swing pedals after the snow melts.

CIMG0307.jpg

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Good work on getting pic on AndrewK - makes it easier to help. That is a divertor valve,(not original) used to divert oil from one circuit to another, as to what it is meant to do...... well at a guess some type of auxilary circuit attatched to the bh boom somewhere.
Put some more pics up of just the backhoe & we might spot it. Failing that you will have to follow those hoses & see where they end up - BTW, Never seen that white stuff on a hoe around here!.....:D

agood1

Hate to drag up an old thread, but I just joing this forum and for some reason I cannot start a new post. I can't even contact the admin, everything is blocked.

So here's my question.
What are the pedals for? There are 3, they seem to work together somewhat.....I guess two are for left and right brake...and one is the clutch maybe? There is also a small peg that I catch my foot on moving from the gas to the brake...what is that for?
Here are a couple pictures....took them in the dark, so sorry for the poor quality.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/maxum25/e37cc4c0.jpg

J Penner

that will be either a nuetral foot switch or your rear diff lock not sure but i thought the diff lock was closer to the seat area

J Penner

just slip the forward reverse lever to nuetral,some even had a button on top of the loader joystick and depressing that button also gives you nuetral while your holding it.

J Penner

the clutches are hydraulicly activated it's called a shuttle shift system,the forward and reverse clutches are part of that

agood1

Can anyone tell me what the sensor is for on the intake manifold for? It appears to be some type of pressure sender. Also, where is the water temp sensor? I am trying to trouble shoot some gauge problems.

Thanks

1977 580C

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
The sensor you are talking about is an airfilter condition sensor. As the filter gets dirty, presssure in intake goes down, and lights a lite on the dash. Your manual is on the way - read the operators manual, and it will answer a whole bunch of your questions.

agood1

Thanks for the info, and the manual, I'm sure it will answer lots of questions and help me get this thing running properly again.

Any ideas on getting the lenses on the instrument panel clear again? I've tried wet sanding and buffing, which helped a little but still not readable in the sun.