• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c head bolt torque

backhoe1

Can anyone on here help me? I'm looking for Head bolt torque specs for a Case 580c
It is a 207 engine. Thanks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Nuts - 95 - 105 ft lbs
Bolts 105 - 115 ft lbs
Tappets - .012" intake & .014" exhaust
:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Pay attention to that drilled bolt that secures the rear valve rocker shaft bracket when installing the valve train.

zul69

Hi All,

New to this forum.

Thanks for the info as I think I need to get the cylinder head off my Case 580C soon, juat to do top overhaul and maybe changing the rings if it is not that difficult to do.

Anything to look for, to avoid?

Thanks so much guys.

Zul
Malaysia

zul69

Hi again,

I have a 580C. The problem I have is that hydraulic mechanisms are not powerful, eg boom, arm, etc. When I start the engine, it seem to have a bit of power to lift the body, to dig etc. But after about 10 minutes, it sort of loss it hydraulic power. I have changed the hydraulic oil, but still the same, no power after abt 10 minutes into operation. Any suggestion of what went wrong? The engine is ok, not so bad. I use Elf 68 hydraulic oil, the same that I use for my 2 excavators.

Cheers

Zul
Malaysia

alrman

Occupation
Welcome to HEF Zul!
Not a good idea to fit just piston rings to your engine, it will use oil & not last long. You need to fit sleeves as well. Engine rebuild kits are not too expensive for 207 - not sure about Malaysia??
Re; hyd. pressure, problem could be main relief pressure or the pump could be on way out. You need to test main relief pressure at least to see if that is OK - 2300psi @ full revs

sheepfoot

zul69, like actoequip said in early post you have a drilled bolt that goes to lube the rocker arms, you should pick up a parts and service book for more info. I like to install new sleeves, pistons and bearings due to age of the machine if your pulling the pan. Alot of those engines have started pitting the liners in the water passage and fail with and with out warning leaving the crankcase with antifreeze in the oil. it's not cheap but can save time and money later since you are taking the head of too.
The way to check pressure is to open battery box, there is a cap on the pressure line going to the loader valve(some have been drilled and tapped to 1/8 pipe) cap is 37 flare #12 install hose and gauge 5000psi,
start machine and raise loader untill it stops, pressure should be 2250-2350 psi at just over idle, then due the same at full throttle check psi, if low psi at idle but high psi at full, pump may need replacing.
I would replace all 8 orings on the load check plugs in the backhoe control valve, you have to make a tool to remove them, these cause most hyd power issues on the backhoe while digging, they are located under each circuit releif valve, one top/one bottem of each section, this can be done on the machine by removing the sheet metal panel/at the B/H tower to access top and lower above the swing cylinders

zul69

Thank so much to both of you for the replies and welcome notes.

I am so new into the backhoe repairing things. I have owned backhoes before (Case 580B) but never have any repairs done on them by myself. But now I want to try and repair the thing on my own (with the helps from you guys, for sure).

On my Case 580C: I have replaced the main pump as as the previous owner told me that the pump is 'weak'. So I changed the pump, but nothing change. On overall, the hydraulic power is weak, but for the first 10 minutes, it is quite ok (still on weak side), can lift the body etc. But after it gets hot, it cannot lift its own body or dig. The engine is fairly ok. Change all hyd oil, but no change in hyd power.

What do I check? What to do to check? How? I am so sorry, I am quite new to all this.

Alrman, where is that main relief pressure location? What is its function? What do I do with it?

Thanks so much guys.

Zul
Malaysia

alrman

Occupation
Zul,
I admire your wanting to do these things yourself, it isn't easy though, with years of experience & proper tools profesionals make it LOOK easy.
sheepfoot has described the proceedure pretty well ...... do you have a hydraulic test gauge (3000 - 3500psi minimum) & access to some fittings so it can be attatched to machine?
With the questions you have asked, it may be in your best interests to find someone who has some hydraulic experience to check this for you.
Was the pump you fitted, new?

zul69

Alrman,

Yes, the pump I fitted is new item.

I have lived in Texas and USA before. Yes, I understand when you say professional. I think Australia is similar to USA/UK. When you said 'professionals', they are really professionals, meaning they know what they are doing. The sorry things for Malaysia, the 'professionals' dont exist. The repairman only repair machine based on long experience working in the workshop. You may not believe what I am gonna say, but it's true. Some mechanics dont even know how things work, and they just do repairs based on old experience. To this date, I never met anyone in Malaysia with the true knowledge of heavy machines and hydraulics. There are quite a few repair shops for heavy machines in my town, (you not gonna believe this), but I never saw them having the pressure gauge and the fittings as you said. As for me, I will try and get the pressure gauge and the fittings. Any particular brand/make for the pressure gauge? What fitting sizes will I likely need?

That is why I did not bring my machine to them. I have the machines for my own personal used. I used them in my small oil palm plantation, just personal stuff, nothing more. So I dont have the urgentsy to repair them fast. What I would do is getting to understand the system in use, then try to repair the thing by myself if I can. I am engineer by trade. I have experience repairing motorbike, cars, 4x4 etc. So now I am trying to learn to repair heavy machines. So, please, please, please bear with me as surely some of my question can be silly and dumb at times. But one Chinese tractor driver told me about Chinese old saying, "You only stupid once", meaning you will learn from old mistake and not redo the mistake again.

I find the knowledge in this forum is masive, and some of the people in here really professionals and they know their stuff. I am grateful to you guys and for accepting me to participate in this forum discussions. Thank you so much. I have participated in other forums as well, like Land Rover, Isuzu Trooper, Isuzu DMax, Mercedes, Suzuki RGV250, and all of these are great forums, just like this one. I even have forum people from UK visiting Malaysia and we met in Penang Island. If you guys wanting to come visit Malaysia (good cheap hotel, food etc), gimme a bell, I will assist you with what I can, and maybe meet you somewhere in Malaysia.

Sorry for the ranting (I am a university lecturer, by the way). I better stop now before you guys dozed off (lol).

Thanks

Zul
Malaysia

zul69

Alrman,

I dont have the gauge and the fittings. But will try and get them when I have some extra money and time to find these items. Any particular brand/make for the gauge?

Thanks.

Zul
Malaysia

zul69

Sheepfoot,

Thanks so much for the reply. Really, really apprecited it. I will see to that when I am at the machine. All my machines are about 220km from where I live now. I travelled every weekend to be with my heavy machines and spend weekends with my beloved machines (lol). At the moment, I have big problem with the final drive on my mini X (on other section post in here).

Cheers

Zul
Malaysia