• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c case backhoe

tool man

on my 580c backhoe my shuttle shift isnt working correctly. when you put it in reverse it is right there,and when you put it in forward it wont engage, unless you rev it up a few times, and it goes in and stays in. you can move it from forward to neutral and back to forward and it jumps right in, you can do this several times as long as you dont wait more then 10 seconds. if you do wait more then 10 sec. you will loose forward again,but reverse is still right there.took the pick up screen out and cleaned it,and put in new fluid,checked the linkage,everything is tight,and switches have been all bypassed.any helpful info would be great,thank you tim

fishfighter

When you changed fluid, did you drain the converter? Did you use Case oil in it? My 580C was doing that when I got it. Pulled and clean the suction screen, drain the converter and filled back with Case oil. Everything worked like it should after that.

tool man

thank you for responding,no i did not drain the converter,is there a hole in the belhousing to get to a drain plug for the converta,thanks again,i also use napa hydrolic oil ,whats your opinion on that,is that good or not so good. again thank you for your help-tim

fishfighter

Yes, there is a rubber plug center, close to the engine. Can't miss it. Get something to mark the converter. Bump the engine over a little at a time till the nut shows up. If I remember, it's a 3/8".

Oil. The guy I bought my hoe from said he changed all oils. Well, the trainnie oil was clean, but the suction screen was a bit dirty. After reading up on this problem, it was posted to use Case oil only in the trannie. B&W trainnies are funny about what oil is to be used in them. Ran many boats with them over the years. One thing I learn is that used what they tell you.

That Case oil is high dollar oil. $80 for 5 gallons.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to the forum tool man!
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would think your shuttle needs to be removed & overhauled. Sounds like classic belville washer failure in the fwd clutch pack.
A very common fault........

bob_00

Hey Toolman any updates?
My 580c just started doing the same thing

if that can help you c e and frist k serie had a borg warner power shutle with a spring on the foward clutche pack that is a relly relly comon failure i ran a corsse few machine with all the same problem thats the bad news but the good news is that probleme is so comon that a good transmition shop have no probleme fixing it if you bring the shuttle with few wood bloks and a tranmition jack or 2 strong young men helping you you can get it out one thing i wold sugess if you decide to tackle the rebuild prossces your selfe get the shop manuel and dont forget to check for exessive were on the charging pump and the controle valve but specialy on the controle valve you might need the casing to be machined

TLR15

Occupation
Firefighter
if that can help you c e and frist k serie had a borg warner power shutle with a spring on the foward clutche pack that is a relly relly comon failure i ran a corsse few machine with all the same problem thats the bad news but the good news is that probleme is so comon that a good transmition shop have no probleme fixing it if you bring the shuttle with few wood bloks and a tranmition jack or 2 strong young men helping you you can get it out one thing i wold sugess if you decide to tackle the rebuild prossces your selfe get the shop manuel and dont forget to check for exessive were on the charging pump and the controle valve but specialy on the controle valve you might need the casing to be machined

Are you typing with mittens on?

Chris580c

hey y'all myb case 580c slowly stopped going into fwd gear . if im going downhill its fine, but flat land and up is a no go. Read so many posts im more confused than when i started. I have drained it pump was clean reassembled and filled with prem tractor fluid. no better. Reverse is still strong, but im at a loss were to go from here. btw when on stabilizers tires spin fwd and reverse. just not on ground. please help and thanks in advance

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
hey y'all myb case 580c slowly stopped going into fwd gear . if im going downhill its fine, but flat land and up is a no go. Read so many posts im more confused than when i started. I have drained it pump was clean reassembled and filled with prem tractor fluid. no better. Reverse is still strong, but im at a loss were to go from here. btw when on stabilizers tires spin fwd and reverse. just not on ground. please help and thanks in advance
You'll need to remove the shuttle and rebuild it. You will need to get a service manual if you don't have one.