• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580C Backhoe - Mechanical Thumb ??

BigDog's Toys

I have a 580C and I am looking at adding a mechanical thumb. So far the one I am leaning towards is the Hoe-Clamp by Amulet...Any feedback? Anyone else tried these out or is there a different kind that would be better.

I am clearing my property and moving stumps, logs.. that kind of wear and tear...

Thanks!!

busdrivernine

I have a guy that I do alot of hauling for and he has a homemade thumb on his Case thinkit is either a 580 or 590 not for sure, but a sweet machine for sure Told my wife that I sure would like one for Christmas . boy did i get the look and it was not a nice one either .

CaptDave

Occupation
Captain Toronto Fire Services
This fellow in Ontario has some pretty reasonably priced ones.
http://cdp-backhoe.com/
When I get my Case 530 running I am getting, wife already said "go for it" She wants all the old brush and trees cleared up.

amunderdog

I had a grapple made for my old hoe.
Truckandtractor-32.jpg

The price was steep but i really like it.
Wish i had a better picture.
I just changed to a bucket this morning, or i would take a better shot.

coopers

Here you go ghitch. Look at the red circle. That's where it's welded onto the linkage.

Attachments

• 5514thumb.jpg
    5514thumb.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 8,353

coopers

I like the red tire on your hoe ghitch. :) Was that pulled off an old B or CK model? How you liking ur 580C minus the diff. lock issue? I love the C's. I like the new hoes but I grew up around the 580C and will pick one up (eventually) myself to use for light stuff here and there.

skidrowe

I have a Amulet hoe clamp on my Cat 426B , on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 9, the thing works great. I pick up boulders way bigger than I probably should with little problem. As for trees I dig on both sides of the tree and come up about 2-3 feet and push them over and grab them with the thumb, I bought mine on E-bay for $500 I LOVE IT

skidrowe

Hey if you don't already have your thumb on a couple of hints might make it easier. First clean off as much grease as you can off your pin , pin hole in dipper because you will have to see to line up your dipper holes , bucket holes and thumb holes all at once. Also I used a piece of pipe a little smaller than your pin size to help line up the three pieces. It's a little tricky but you can do it. I have to do mine by myself, but if you can get help it will make it easier, then make sure to grease it up BIG time !!!