• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B - Twin disc rebuild/piston travel question

bkj110

Hi all,
Finally got around to getting this thing back together. The faces on both hubs of the shuttle were not even close to being flat/true, so into the lathe they went. Around .035" cut on the reverse hub, and .020" on the fwd hub. So, I'm now measuring/stacking the discs and the manual says i need .095" to 1.015" of movement for the clutches to not hang when disengaged. With the cuts, I have 1.030" of available movement on the reverse side & 1.020" of movement on the forward side. The manual makes no mention of a maximum, just shimming between the hubs and the piston carrier to achieve somewhere in that .095 to 1.015 range. I was going to take a cut on the hub gear faces to get down to 1.005" half way range but before I did that, I thought I'd ask first...Anyone run into this? (yes, I know that's not how this thing goes together, but that was the easiest way to mount/hold them and make sure they're square with respect to the shaft).
Thanks!IMG_20211023_124501.jpg