• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B Shuttle problem?

3steps56

When you have the wheels off the ground in the morning can you turn the wheels freely? If you can that would eliminate any brake issues being the problem. I think. If it just started as you say Check the filter. If the filter is clogging up the fluid will circulate better and have more operating pressure after all of it is warm. Which seems to be what you are doing with the wheels off the ground during warm up. Could also be o rings in shuttle not holding pressure till warm fluid circulates all the way through shuttle transmission

grapeman

this is an update on this post that I started several years ago. What I finally determinded part of the problem was, and a large part of it, was the filter in front of the radiator.
I had changed it previously ( only a short time ago) and never again suspected that could be the problem. Well, as a last resort, I changed it again and it made a noticeable improvement in the problem. So now in the future, if I am experiencing problems with hydraulics, you can bet I will first replace filters. Easy to do and cheap.

mwarning

Grapeman---Thank you so much for updating your old post with the fix! My 580B had the exact symptoms. The tractor got used all summer long and worked great, but as the weather got colder it required 20 minutes of warm up before it would move normally. I didn't have the backhoe on so I couldn't raise her up and check the wheels for free turning, but I never suspected the brakes to be the problem. I figured it had to be something with poor oil flow due to the cold...or shuttle problems....or TC problems...or.....!!! Then I read your last post, changed out the filter, and ta-daaa, problem solved.
I'm an electrical guy, and our credo is C-F-F, Check Fuses First (make sure it has power). Now I know C-F-F, Check Filters First (make sure it has power)!

Gilbert603

That’s good news. I’ve had my machine for three years now and it’s just starting to have the same symptoms, although if I let it warm up for 20 minutes I’m good to go, I just never had the issue until now.