• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B power steering

hi all, new member here very impressed with the knowledge present here.

I recently aquired a case 580B backhoe amongst a few other issues it was lossing power steering fluid from the reservoir but had no obvious major leaks then eventually i noticed the engine oil rising, bingo front seal. For now I have replaced the front seal and filter but i have always been a bit underwhelmed with the power steering performance. It currently has 750/16 front tyres but i have some much better condition 900/16 I wish to fit but there's no way the current power steering could hack it I already have to rev the engine substaintialy to be able to steer it with anything in the bucket.

The steering components are quite well worn so I am intending to doing up the steering cylinders and replace the pump. After looking around a bit its easy enough to find replacement pumps A137187 but I am noticing that in some after market parts lists part number D84179 for a 580C 580D superseds the A137187. I am wondering if this later series pump does in fact fit and if it does is there any advantage such as volume.

Good call. The seering shafts are looking pretty well worn so if I opt for new cylinders is there any advantage to fitting the later model ones 2×4. I believe fittings are the only difference as far as fitting goes

Tinkerer

Not enough details for anyone to advise you.
Such as steering shafts. Are you referring to the steering cylinder rod ? If you are it would be far cheaper to have a new rod made than buying a new cylinder.
Also," later model ones 2x4" ? I for one have no idea what that is.

Not enough details for anyone to advise you.
Such as steering shafts. Are you referring to the steering cylinder rod ? If you are it would be far cheaper to have a new rod made than buying a new cylinder.
Also," later model ones 2x4" ? I for one have no idea what that is.
Fair enough i apologize for the sketchy description.
Yes I meant the steering cylinder rod, scored and pitted but surprisingly not leaking notably.

I was meaning later model two wheel drive machines steering cylinders as four wheel drive had become pretty much the norm in later models in my area. To my understanding the four wheel drive cylinders do not fit the two wheel drive what so ever

I think you can get the complete new steering cylinder for around $200 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Stee...107059?hash=item363f1d1ef3:g:IXAAAOSw1Fdck7Nd

Are the 580B's noted for weak steering? My 480c has plenty of assist. If you go with the theory that it was ok as the factory designed it, then you have something wrong somewhere, you just need to find the problem.

That does look like a good deal.
I have never driven an equivalent machine to compare but those steering cylinders look awful small compared to the steering cylinder on my 3140 and 5140 tractors and they don't have a bucket on the front. I have driven a 580K from time to time buts its 4 wheel drive. So not a direct comparison but it certainly did not lack any steering assist power.

I see it a bit like fitting disc brakes to the front of an old muscle car or pick up. You can buy all the components to rebuild the drum brakes back to exactly how the where back in the day but at that point you're 80 percent of the expense to retro fitting disc brakes from a later model.

I'm just looking to see what later model parts will interchange and if there is any advantage to be had.

franklin2

That does look like a good deal.
I have never driven an equivalent machine to compare but those steering cylinders look awful small compared to the steering cylinder on my 3140 and 5140 tractors and they don't have a bucket on the front. I have driven a 580K from time to time buts its 4 wheel drive. So not a direct comparison but it certainly did not lack any steering assist power.

I see it a bit like fitting disc brakes to the front of an old muscle car or pick up. You can buy all the components to rebuild the drum brakes back to exactly how the where back in the day but at that point you're 80 percent of the expense to retro fitting disc brakes from a later model.

I'm just looking to see what later model parts will interchange and if there is any advantage to be had.

I noticed the cylinders on mine are small. But I also noticed it has two cylinders working together. Most assist setups on automotive applications and other tractors I have worked on, only had one cylinder. My smaller Kubota tractor has the purely hydraulic steering on it like the backhoe, and it has one cylinder on it.