• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580b makes a noise in 4th gear

n175h

When I travel in 4th gear, low range my tractor will roll just fine until I put on the brakes. Then it sometimes sounds like all hell is breaking loose inside the transaxle. The tractor shakes and grinds. Let off the brakes, it coasts fine. Sometimes it makes the same noise when starting off in 4th gear. Rattle, grind, shake.

At first I suspected the brakes, but I think it is more serious than that. Brakes work ok in all other gears. It only does it in 4th. I've never used high range, so don't know anything there. It only does it sometimes. A good remedy is to back up a bit in 4th and the noise abates.

1975 580b mechanical shuttle with a floor clutch.

Any ideas where to start looking?

thanks, David

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I think it's best to rule out a brake problem first. Are your brake pedals pinned together? Try just the left or right brake, likely either one or the other. These were notorious for all kinds of racket including grabbing, rattling, jerkiness, and locking up. Sometimes they just need adjusting, but brakes usually have to be taken apart for an inspection. Oil on the linings, broken springs, lining falling off, all cause problems. Sounds like it might be sludge/oil on the lining(s) that changes it's characteristics with heat(speed), but that's just a guess.

It's a good idea to pull your floorboards up, to make brake work easy on a B, remove the seat/diff cover plate at the same time and do an inspection there too. Every few years a 580B or earlier 580CK should have the 'rear end' checked out. Remove the cover and check inside for chipped teeth, side play in your crown gear carrier, and side play in your axles. See my CK thread for pics. Phil :)

Last edited:

n175h

Thanks Phil,

I hope it is the brakes, but it puzzles me that it never has done it in any other gear. When I have some time, I'll start tearing into it. I am about to use the machine a lot soon to prep a small parking lot for paving with concrete. I need the machine now, so I hope I don't have to stop to work on the beast. Time is of the essence.

David

Occupation
Entrepreneur
hey Phil i finally got my 580B running however its leaking hydro fluid, the high pressure line that comes out of the pump were it connects to the hose that goes to the loader control valve, its a steel line. it squirts out of there when i use the loader or backhoe. i already replaced the hose that goes to the the loader control valve. however: the leak is coming from under the coupler nut that connects the two together. any suggestions appreciated

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi MidnightTowing, I'm not a 580B expert, but it sounds like your describing a steel tube line with a JIC female flare and nut on the end that connects to a JIC male fitting on the hose. If that's what it is, disconnect the hose/tubing connection, may even have to remove the steel tube coming from pump to get a good look. Look closely inside the flare of the tubing, vibration causes cracks right where flare of tubing begins. If you could get the nut and ferrule to slide back you could view it from the outside of the tube as well. :)

Occupation
Entrepreneur
yes thank you the ferrule does slide back if i move it after disconnecting the hose with the tube. i am going check for a crack there i really appreciate your interest in helping me out.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
yes thank you the ferrule does slide back if i move it after disconnecting the hose with the tube. i am going check for a crack there i really appreciate your interest in helping me out.

Well, you're a Junior Member now and can start your own threads. :)

Welcome to the forum. :usa

bob24752

Welcome to the 580B mechanical shuttle club, n175h. I think you and I are the only members. Is the left front axle end missing bearings and bushing like mine and nearly every other 580B I've seen?

Occupation
Entrepreneur
yes there was a hairline crack on the High Pressure Line!

thanks for the reply i took the high pressure hose (Steel) Disconnected from Hydraulic Pump and found a hairline crack where the fluid was leaking out from. i then welded it with my flux cored wired Mig welder and no more leaks! i used a flashlight to see the light come in from the crack through the inside of the hose.

Fordman

Can anyone help me, I just rebuilt my loader lift cylinders on my 580B mechanical shuttle and they work great but they are starting to leak about half of what they use to