• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B CK oil contaminated

Husker67NE

I have a 1974 Case 580B CK backhoe with a diesel engine. It is shuttle shift design and works in both forward and reverse but lacks power. The power improves after servicing but not to what I feel is right, it struggles on a small incline. The torque tube, hydraulic and transmission oils always get contaminated after being serviced. I have flushed all the systems at each service and they will be good for a couple weeks but start discoloring. Covering the backhoe delays the contamination but doesn’t stop it. Where should I look for the entry point causing this, I don’t see where these 3 inter-connect so there must be multiple locations.

Thanks for any assistance given.

Husker67NE

I try in 2nd gear and it crawls up. It is an open ROPS. Can water get in even if the boot isn’t cracked or torn?

Tinkerer

If the boot fits tight around the lever there is little chance of water getting past it.
Was the tractor in a flood at some time in the past ?
2nd gear ?? ---> The torque convertor may be defective. There are ways to check it.
How strong is it in reverse ?
Do you have the service manual for it ?

Husker67NE

I had a digital copy until my computer crashed and haven't been able to find a good copy of one. The boot doesn't move when I twist it so I'm pretty sure its tight. I haven't found any holes in it either. Torque converter? I don't remember seeing one when I last had the tractor split.

Husker67NE

The reverse is good but has power loss in second as well, not as noticeable. How can I check the torque converter?