• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 Super L series I - Front Loader Float issue

Tonytee

HI,
My CASE has recently developed a problem with the loader bucket lifting the front of the machine when the bucket is in the float position. It worked fine up until now.
If I shift the machine into neutral it doesn't lift. Once I shift to forward the machine starts to lift.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
TT

Frick

Sounds like your loader valve is sticking. My Massey tractor will do that sometimes if it's cold (well, cold for NC :)) It won't shift all the way forward to float until it warms up. Are you sure the valve is shifting all the way into float?

Tonytee

Sounds like your loader valve is sticking. My Massey tractor will do that sometimes if it's cold (well, cold for NC :)) It won't shift all the way forward to float until it warms up. Are you sure the valve is shifting all the way into float?

Thanks for the response.
Yes, the shifter goes to float. I can feel the detent happen, and the shifter is all the way forward where it normally ends up.
I thought it might be something I could adjust.
Sounds like it is going to be a costly repair.

Thanks again
TT

Tinkerer

It is not unusual for the tractor front end to rise when going forward with the loader in float position. That removes all the weight of the loader from the tractor and then the weight of the backhoe will make it very heavy on the rear end. The front end will usually rise until the loader cylinders bottom out. Does the float position function OK in reverse ?

Tonytee

It is not unusual for the tractor front end to rise when going forward with the loader in float position. That removes all the weight of the loader from the tractor and then the weight of the backhoe will make it very heavy on the rear end. The front end will usually rise until the loader cylinders bottom out. Does the float position function OK in reverse ?

Before when things were working properly, the bucket would just sit on the ground and free float, as I drove forward, or backward.
But know when I put it in forward, (even if I have the brakes on, so no forward movement) the front of the machine starts to rise off the ground lifting the tires off the ground as well. Kind of like when you setup to use the backhoe, and you set the bucket. When it starts to lift, I shift back to neutral and the front end drops back onto the ground.

Thanks for the help
TT

Delmer

That's what I thought you meant by putting it in neutral, and I had no idea.

Only possibility I can think of is a "return to dig" system malfunctioning, or the linkages contacting each other externally, ie the forward linkage rubs the boom linkage. Or wait for the Case experts if there's another possibility, somebody will know it.

Delmer

Do you think it is an adjustment issue, or a part replacement ?

Won't know until you figure out what the problem is. You can look at the linkages, if there are any? Otherwise look for a return to dig solenoid and disconnect the wire to see if the problem changes.

Something I was recently reminded of on here, when all else fails, tell the boss it's a "bad ground"... that would be for the return to dig solenoid possibly?

Tonytee

Won't know until you figure out what the problem is. You can look at the linkages, if there are any? Otherwise look for a return to dig solenoid and disconnect the wire to see if the problem changes.

Something I was recently reminded of on here, when all else fails, tell the boss it's a "bad ground"... that would be for the return to dig solenoid possibly?

The return to dig operation is done by a mechanical linkage. There are no solenoids that I know of.
I'm am tending to think that the hydraulic control valve is either sticking, or (if there is an adjustment) it is out of adjustment.
I don't know enough about the function of the float operation. Hence my queeries

Delmer

I'm am tending to think that the hydraulic control valve is either sticking, or (if there is an adjustment) it is out of adjustment.

That could make sense, the float position is TYPICALLY held in place with a spring loaded ball detent on the spool, if the spring was damaged then it could allow the spool to move partway into the down position, enough that some other change caused the loader to move down? You could try holding the valve all the way to the float position, instead of leaving it stuck in float, and shifting to forward and back to see if it changes the problem.

Either of the springs at the end of the spools are suspicious also, I don't know how they would explain this, but if holding it causes a change, then look at those springs as well as the detent mechanism.

Tinkerer

return to dig switch

For whatever it is worth, this is what it looks like. #16 is the switch. Return to dig is a mechanical function, but the arm controls the switch which in return trips the loader valve when the bucket is in the desired preset position.

Attachments

• 2015-07-22_145004.jpg
    2015-07-22_145004.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 2015-07-22_145108.jpg
    2015-07-22_145108.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Tonytee

Awesome help from everyone. I will take a closer look at the components, now that I know what to look for.
I'll post my findings when I get a chance to get back to the machine.

Thanks again all