• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 SL plugging block heater into a vehicle inverter

Not You

1999 Case 580SL series 2. It's sitting outside in the cold (single digits at night and teens during the day) weather. How many amps does the block heater pull?

Would it be possible to use an inverter in a pickup to plug it in for a half hour or so to get it to start better? I should add this is not a factory inverter that is built into the truck, it is one that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Right now it only starts with ether, and I'd rather not keep doing that. Also, I don't have a generator to plug it into, so my options as I see it are an inverter if the power draw isn't too great for the truck, or wait for warmer weather. Thanks.

Last edited:

Catback

Cold starting (viscosity) and ether are both bad for the engine.

As long as your inverter is large enough, I see no problem. I usually plug my block heaters and circulating pumps in for 1-2 hours, and they start like it's 80' outside even when it's 0'.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
It will probably blow your fuses in the truck or the inverter I am guessing it will run 10 amps plus......
And I don't think a half hour will cut it

Canadian_digger

Normally block heaters are in the 800-1500 watt range. 7-13 amps.

I don't think pluging it in for only 30 min will help with starting it. You will need at least 1 hrs and even at that if it's really cold may not do anything.

If you are starting in the cold on a regular basis 5w 40 oil would help

Delmer

It looks like the block heater is 750 watts, so the cigarette lighter inverter isn't going to cut it. 750/120v is roughly 6 amps, but that's probably close to 80 amps at 12v depending on the inverter efficiency.

A propane torch, "spit swapping"/coolant transfusion... lots of ways to heat up an engine. Or you can take the batteries inside at night and it should start with warm batteries.

If you could make it work, half an hour at those temps and it should start at least like it's 50 degrees.

Shimmy1

That's a 4BT I believe in that tractor. I think that the standard heaters are 500 watts? Maybe 750? We had this conversation about inverters before, too. If I remember correctly, take the watts divided by ten to get the amps that the inverter will draw? 750÷10 = 75 amps. Even if that engine has a 250 watt heater, I don't believe you could run it off the lighter socket. You can do one of two things, a new 1500 watt inverter hooked right to the battery with at least 2-0 cables probably run you $300-400. Or, I think a small 1500-2000 generator would cost about the same, and you could use it for more things.

Shimmy1

I have one other point, with winter oil, good batteries, starter, cables, starting at 0 everyday should be no problem unassisted. I have found that the little B's are all a little different. Some like/need a bit more fuel at starting (hold the throttle anywhere from half to full until it starts) some don't like any throttle. Biggest thing, as long as your batteries and cables are good, don't be afraid to crank that engine for 15-20 sec. Sometimes it takes them awhile to start firing. But, the batteries and cables MUST be in good condition. If it starts pulling down, then you have to stop or you'll fry the starter motor. My old 780C would start everyday after sitting 6-10 hrs down to -10°F. If it sat for more than a couple days, then about 0 would be it.

Not You

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like an inverter isn't an option. The half hour heat time was just an example. I can plug it in inside the barn for a half hour and it starts very easily, but I realize it's different when you're outside and trying to use a cigarette lighter to power something.

The battery seems to be strong and I had been using a battery tender on it when not in use. It seems to crank pretty well without losing much power, but I get concerned after about 10 seconds and don't want to do any damage.

Sounds like waiting for warmer weather is the best option. I've only tried to start it in these type of temperatures once or twice this season, it won't be a normal occurrence, it just happens to be on a jobsite and can't come home.

Last edited:

mitch504

On the inverter prices, Northern Tool and Harbor Fakes both sell a 750 watt for about $45 and a 1500 for $129.99. They have cables on them that clip straight to the battery, and work amazingly well for power tools. I've had the same one on my service truck for ten years, or more. Being a South Carolinian, I've never plugged a block heater into one. :D

Delmer

If you just need to start it once or twice, then a propane torch works great. Or if you have 10 or so spare batteries a block heater will run just fine on DC, watts will be 1/4 (of 750, or about 190 watts) at 1/2 -60 volts so it won't do much at 12v.

Shimmy1

Not that I'm trying to cause trouble, but anything more than 36 V DC can be dangerous, I don't even want to think about 120 VDC. Being a fire/rescue worker, we have been told these new electric vehicles that use DC can be downright deadly. Just saying, be CAREFUL. You get 10 batteries hooked in series, that could be a sh**load of amps.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
JMHO, I'd purchase a small generator and a oil fired space heater, chunk them in the back of the truck, point the heater at the engine (some distance in between of course) and heat it up in short order. Generator and heater can be used for other purposes as well this time of year. :)

Cold starting (viscosity) and ether are both bad for the engine.

As long as your inverter is large enough, I see no problem. I usually plug my block heaters and circulating pumps in for 1-2 hours, and they start like it's 80' outside even when it's 0'.

Agreed. You should be able to google the specs on your inverter and look up full load amperage. All inverters I have ever used were rated for a low load only. Lay into a drill and it would kick out.

El Hombre

Combine the inverter with a 'salamander' heater and a tarp over the whole caboodle; that would work. The heater needs a little juice to run the ignitor and fan, that's well within the capacity of a 750 watt inverter. Tarp is to keep the wind from blowing the heat away...

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
If this is a machine you are going to start a lot at cold temps get a proheat. they are self contained, mounts to your machine and uses diesel to heat engine and hyd oil.
Takes me 20 minutes to heat a komatsu 500 loader @ zero Fahrenheit. works great. Not the cheapest answer (around $1500) but sure is nice.

ekuehn

One economical method some of the guys use here in norther B.C. is to connect 2 hoses between the engine blocks with quick disconnect fittings at the heater hoses or other ports available. The coolant in the pickup is already hot when you arrive at the work site. Hook up the hoses and sit in the pickup with a coffee and rev the engine a bit for good circulation. Should make sure both engines have a compatible coolant for this method.

El Hombre

One economical method some of the guys use here in norther B.C. is to connect 2 hoses between the engine blocks with quick disconnect fittings at the heater hoses or other ports available. The coolant in the pickup is already hot when you arrive at the work site. Hook up the hoses and sit in the pickup with a coffee and rev the engine a bit for good circulation. Should make sure both engines have a compatible coolant for this method.

My neighbor had a dozer that used a small pony engine to start it. Recoil start on the pony, it had a heat exchanger around the muffler that contained coolant that was circulated into the big engine. Had a flywheel that actually started the dozer.

oarwhat

Combine the inverter with a 'salamander' heater and a tarp over the whole caboodle; that would work. The heater needs a little juice to run the ignitor and fan, that's well within the capacity of a 750 watt inverter. Tarp is to keep the wind from blowing the heat away...

Took the words right out of my mouth. Really don't need a tarp. blow it on the intake side of the engine for an half hour and fire it up.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Bite the bullet and buy a little 2000 Watt super quiet generator and you can also use it to power the fish house lighting on the days its to cold to work. You will also find a thousand other uses like powering a small pancake air compressor, running a battery charger, etc. You can plug in the engine heater and not worry about fire or nothing else while it warms up.