• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 case super m boom swings left

WScott

why does the boom swing to the left without touching any of the levers?
Just started this. When you let go of levers the boom goes all the way to the left by itself. Its a freinds hoe. thought i would try to help him.

coopers

I wish I remembered why our backhoe did that for a while. We had the same problem, can't quite remember how it was fixed or what the reason was. When you find out can you let us know? I'm curious.

Blake
WA

cherokee101

I'm not expert on backhoes but when we have a runaway control like that it usually means there is a shuttle valve stuck, a cross flow leak in the hydraulic manifold or a shuttle valve just plain worn out and leaking from the neutral position.

It could also be a little bit of trash under a valve seat if there is such a thing in the system.

Work the fire out of it by cycling the valve a lot and see if that does any good?

Xcopterdoc

Inspect the spool on that section of the valve body for a broken spring. Case hoes use an open center system. So the only way fluid can go to that function is if the spool is not in the neutral position. Or a cracked valve body, which in Cases is very unlikely. The centering spring is located at the bottom of that valve section and is inside the cup. The cup is held in place by two allen head cap screws. The spring is retained on the spool by a small E-clip.

WScott

fixed it

Ok, here is what I found...

If you look under the rig there is the valve body for the hoe controls.
There are caps with a hex head. I assume that these are the covers or housings for the springs mentioned in the above post.

ONe of them had worked loose. I hand tightned it and then a little more with some channel locks ( all i had at the time). And presto problem gone.

I checked the other caps and tightend them also.

Ran great. No problems.
400' of footers 30" wide and 30" deep and it ran like a shweety

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
Xcopterdoc, you really lived up to your signature man. Way to go!!!!

You've done this before haven't you!