• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 c

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
Son just came home with a 580 C and a pretty nice one except it has oil in the water. Suspect either head gasket or oil cooler if it has one. Does anybody have a good clue where to start looking or is there something particular to these that might be the thing to look at first? About 3000 hrs. No water in crankcase. Thanks Crayton

crayton

Occupation
Scott, Got your reply in my email. Good idea to check anyway. Thanks for the tip

ScottAR

Upon reflection, Check out my problem and it *could* be yours.

I bought the 580D with a "fresh" engine overhaul and somewhat unknown operational history. One day while messing about in the yard, I got steam out of the blowby tube, basicly about as much exhaust as from the stack. I shut her down and pulled the dipstick. Chocolate Milk! :cussing

So, I ordered a head gasket from work and set about tearing down things to
work while having the worst buyer's remorse in recent memory. I almost
had the rocker assembly off when I found a freeze plug loose behind the
rocker stand. I found the hole it goes in. There are three freeze/cup/core
plugs in the top of the head. One on each end and one more or less in the
center. Coolant is in the head and oil is flowing around in the rocker area.

I changed the head gasket for double sure and replaced the offending plug
and it's brothers with extra deep versions with lion's head gasket sealer on them as per ex Case mechanic instructions. Changed oil and coolant and have had no further troubles from it. Turns out my "bad" machine has been
better than I thought after all. Everything in the engine actually was fresh
and nice looking inside.

I suspect yours might be leaking or have a small pinhole in one or more of the
plug. Pull the hood so you can see and pull the valve cover should be all the tearing down needed to inspect. HTH

Dang, I got on a tear I guess. :eek:

mirrocraft

i just got a 580d with water in oil same thing freeze plug poped out to bad the guy i got it from ran it this way and fried the crank so i had to overhaul anyway check compressiona nd freeze plugs

CMSMOKE

I beleive the coolers and the radiator are separate on a "C", check yours to be sure. If they are separate that isn't the problem. You say there is not any water in the crankcase so a cavitated liner or bad freeze plug is not the problem. What you are looking for is some type of oil pressure that is overcoming the operating pressure of the cooling system(approximately 12 psi.) It could be the head gasket. There is a drilled bolt to lube the rocker shaft and a passage in the head gasket that might be bad.If you do decide to change the head gasket remember the location of this bolt. It may also be a good idea to have the head milled flat. If the head gasket went bad there is a reason for it. How much oil are you talking about? Could it have been filled from a dirty container? It might pay you to flush the cooling system, refill it and see if it recontaminates again.

buxmontpave

i just purchased a 580c construction king extendahoe great machine but after runnign hard one day lost power and very hard starting anythign liek this happen to you>/

CMSMOKE

Check the air filter. Change the fuel filters. Check for an air leak between the fuel tank and the injection pump. Is the shut off cable traveling fully? Let the machine sit for a couple of hours and try running it. If it does O.K. for a short time it may be seals in the injector pump falling apart and clogging up the return.(You can check this by removing the return line from the inj. pump and removing the straight fitting from the pump. Small fragments will collect in the pump side of the fitting. Cleaning will give you short term running time but will need attention.) In which case you will need to have the injector pump rebuilt. Get yourself a repair manual. They are well worth the money.

skidoomanott

580 ck

I am having the similar problem. Seems the rad has emptied into the oil. The oil pan got so full that the oil/antifreeze was shooting out the top of the dipstick.I dranied the oil and found it to be gray in color and very watery. Apparently the engine did get an overhaul by one of the previous owners. I hope it is the frostplugs that was mentioned earlier. Any chance I can see a diagram of where these plugs are located? I recently replaced the rad with one that did not have a tranny cooler. Because the power shuttle required a cooler, I installed an external one. The backhoe did not have a thermostat in it when I bought it so I installed that also. I also put a temp. gauge which never did show the temp rising. The engine block did not seem to get warm either. I am new to diesel and was wondering if they take longer than gas engines to heat up? The fact that the coolant was escaping into the engine did not help. I am hoping someone can help me find a service manual for my machine as I plan on doing repairs myself. Thanks.

crayton

Occupation
Better pull the rocker cover and check the freeze plugs first. Ours was the head gasket but changed the plugs anyway. For oil to reach raidiator it has to be under preasure. Water in the oil can be just a leak. Suspect the plugs.

skidoomanott

oil

I forgot to mention that there was oil coming out the blowby tube off the valve cover as well as coming out the dipstick. Thanks

crayton

Occupation
If you have enough water in the oil to raise the level much it could cause the blow by. No room left in the crankcase for the air to give and take when the pistons go up and down. Need to have the oil level to the mark on the dipstick.

skidoomanott

oil level

The oil level was dead on before this issue. I hope it is the frost plugs on top of the cylinders. I am waiting for a service manual so I can see what I am doing when I start to tear it apart. Thanks

skidoomanott

freeze plugs

Pulled the valve cover and think I located the freeze plugs. It is hard to tell if they are the problem? Something I should be looking for? How do I test the frost plugs? Do I pressure the rad(10psi) and should see bubbles coming from the frost plugs? I noticed another problem. Second from end, towards rad, push rod was not connected and also bent. I am gonna be pulling the head but was wondering what I might find when I do that? Thanks