• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

555e Floor

cosmaar1

Has anyone taken off the floor boards of a 555E or similar machine? I have a leaky hose that crosses over the top of the transmission housing from what I believe is the loader control to some split point on the other side. Looking at it I have no idea how I’m going to get to it from underneath. Just wondering if it’s possible from the top.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
cosmaar1,

I feel your pain. A couple of years ago I had a hose blow under the machine. I got to lay in the mud created by hydraulic oil and struggle to replace it. It seems like it would have been easy from the top.

Anyhow, I have never taken the mat out, so I do not know for sure (I think NH575E has tho), but from all indications, the cab has solid floors, except for the heater box hole.

Below is from the manual, and it preaty much says the cab must be removed to carry out the tasks, one of which is hydraulics.

I can tell you, in the future I may look into cutting the floor for access to the hydraulics. My hoses are over 20 years old and will surely fail at some point.

If anyone has cut the floor to gain access on a NH E series, I would love to hear about it too.

1710243771777.png

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
There is one panel under the pedals that is removable - at least on mine. Don't know if that's original or not. And it is pretty far forward so don't know if it would give access to the hose you need to replace. I've never removed the back mat, only the front.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
When I redid the floor in mine, I cut it out of one sheet then cut it into 3 pieces as I wanted to be able to pull it up if I had to.
Small skil saw with a metal blade or a cut off wheel on a die grinder and some leathers, lol.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
When I redid the floor in mine, I cut it out of one sheet then cut it into 3 pieces as I wanted to be able to pull it up if I had to.
Small skil saw with a metal blade or a cut off wheel on a die grinder and some leathers, lol.
THAT must have been one heckuva PIA.

cosmaar1

I will look again tonight, but it’s leaking enough that with the machine still sitting in my driveway as it has been for the last year, I might as well keep it here a bit longer Vs doing it out in the middle of the woods 10 miles from home.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Very limited access but you might be able to get enough light on it by pulling the panel under the pedals.

IMG_2362.JPG

My cab model also has a box that looks removable under the seat where the AC evaporator and heater core are but I didn't pull it all the way out.

IMG_1192.JPG

The seat is one heavy SOB to get in and out by oneself!

cosmaar1

Very limited access but you might be able to get enough light on it by pulling the panel under the pedals.

View attachment 307678

My cab model also has a box that looks removable under the seat where the AC evaporator and heater core are but I didn't pull it all the way out.

View attachment 307679

The seat is one heavy SOB to get in and out by oneself!
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately where the hose is that I need is more towards the back. No way in heck am I lifting up the cab and I think taking off the seat is going to be a lot more than I want to try. I guess I will just have to see exactly where the hose runs and how best to do it. Can’t ever be easy.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I wonder what it looks like under the controls cover?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
If you can get access to both ends of the hose.
Have a longer hose made and by-pass it in a more convenient route.
When I had a hose blow on my E series, it wasnt so much thr routing, but rather getting the hose fittings to start. It was on the top side, and I was laying under the machine. There were many hoses between us. I spent hours getting them to start. It sucked! a removable floor pannel would have made it quick and easy. Because of the age of my machine, I expect more hoses to blow. Next time one does, I may cut a pannel out of the floor. When I am done, weld wings on it and use some good tape on it before reinstalling the floor mat. The older Ford machines had several access points in the floor, and it made it much easier! Not feeling it on removing the cab every time a hose blows on an old machine!

cosmaar1

So I crawled under the old girl today and after tracing the hose, it doesn’t look as bad as it initially seemed. Don’t get me wrong it’s going to suck, but luckily the fittings are somewhat in the open. I just hope they aren’t on too tight.

On the first picture, it’s under the machine and on the outside of the loader control valve on the right frame rail. On the 2nd picture it’s accessible through the wheel well of the left side rear tire on top of the frame rail.

It’s leaking right at the burr on the fitting I pointed out. It’s almost like the thing split and when it’s cold it leaks and as the machine gets warm it stops.

Attachments

• B0005AF0-E00F-47B0-AB51-B55EC8B10CAC.jpeg
    B0005AF0-E00F-47B0-AB51-B55EC8B10CAC.jpeg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 4D85B169-52C6-49A3-8846-63E63E269617.jpeg
    4D85B169-52C6-49A3-8846-63E63E269617.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 7
  • 18346EBE-3408-437A-A3E1-2BA4DC0957F6.png
    18346EBE-3408-437A-A3E1-2BA4DC0957F6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
On the tightness topic one method I use when I have room is to position both wrenches close together and squeeze them with a large pair of channelloc pliers.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
On the tightness topic one method I use when I have room is to position both wrenches close together and squeeze them with a large pair of channelloc pliers.
This works well! Leverage is your friend!

Also, if you have the space, a flat bladed air chisel will crack them loose.

When I did mine, I had no space, but both fittings cracked without issue. I purchased a set of Tekton Metric angle head wrenches that fit rite in for me.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
THAT must have been one heckuva PIA.
Not really, made a cardboard template of the floor, made it big on the sides and cut it out.
Then bent the sides up 2” and fit it in.
Then cut it into 3 pieces and screwed the sides in to the fenders with zip screws.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Looks like it’s leaking at te crimp, which would explain it leaking less as it warms up.
Never going to stop though.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist