• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

555 tran/diff fluid levels

berky

Changing fluids on a newly acquired 555B. Refilled trans with 134A to full mark on stick. Did the same for the diff using the rear stick. When I went back and checked the trans stick it was way overfull. I think I have read that the trans/diff are interconnected, but wondering which dipstick is wrong. Anybody out there know or anybody with a 555 that can measure the front and rear dipstick markings length and let me know what they are?

Check Break

They are not connected. There is a seal between the two compartments. If the seal is out, I believe it won't matter because both compartments operate at the same fluid level. The seal keeps the tranny fluid from running to the center housing and vice versa when the nose is up or down. You could measure your own dipsticks. Is there a difference between the full level on them. This doesn't answer your question but I can't measure my dipsticks for you right now.

I'm pretty sure both dipsticks have a different size head to keep you from swapping them accidentally.