• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

55 Michigan Transmission woes

Caseybow

Can someone please tell me where to locate and how to remove the transmission sump on my Michigan loader. I believe it is plugged because I have a hard time getting it to move when cold. The warmer it is outside, the better it works. It has the 3 speed clark transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated

BillG

What is the complete model, 55A or B or later. If it"s an A or B then the sump screen is at the bottom under the bottom cover. There are a dozen or so bolts to remove to take off the bottom sump. The screen is in there.

Caseybow

It is a 1970 55B. Is the cover located close to the filler tube which goes towards the back of the transmission? When I crawl underneath the loader it is hard to locate any kind of pan or cover.

STEFANO

Ciao Caseybow,

Ti invio il Manuale di servizio per la trasmissione CLARK serie 28000 .

Regards

Attachments

• 28000 MHR and LFMHR Supplement.pdf
    9.7 MB · Views: 20

Caseybow

Can someone please tell me where to locate and how to remove the transmission sump on my Michigan loader. I believe it is plugged because I have a hard time getting it to move when cold. The warmer it is outside, the better it works. It has the 3 speed clark transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Caseybow

Still having a major issues with this loader.
This will be a long post, but I am trying to explain everything I know and tried to get help.
Drained transmission and converter and the oil looked great. Removed the side transmission plug from the left side and inspected sump screen and it was very clean. replaced transmission filter and cleaned sump screen anyways and refilled with fresh transmission fluid until it came out of filler plug on the side. This was double checked with engine running at normal operating temperature. After idling for app. 10 minutes with an outside temperature of +8 Celsius, I tried the transmission. Would not move forward or reverse. If you rev the engine and work steering and Hydraulics hard, after awhile it will begin to engage and start to move. You must maintain working the machine after that to maintain momentum. If you are slow to stop to lift something, it refuses to budge again. This can be a back and forth game for around 10 minutes then everything seems to become normal. This problem only exists when the outside temperature starts cooling down. During summer months when it is hot outside and after air pressure builds to release the brakes it is an unstoppable machine. If temperatures drop to app. 8 Celsius or lower this will create a moving issue. This machine has had this issue for the 4+ years I have owned it. It was previously stored indoors for over 10 years before I purchased it. Can someone please help with this problem. The only thing maybe I can think of is perhaps a sticking declutch valve. If you agree, what is the best way to fix. If you don't believe that to be the problem, I would appreciate any and all alternatives.
Please help

STEFANO

Still having a major issues with this loader.
This will be a long post, but I am trying to explain everything I know and tried to get help.
Drained transmission and converter and the oil looked great. Removed the side transmission plug from the left side and inspected sump screen and it was very clean. replaced transmission filter and cleaned sump screen anyways and refilled with fresh transmission fluid until it came out of filler plug on the side. This was double checked with engine running at normal operating temperature. After idling for app. 10 minutes with an outside temperature of +8 Celsius, I tried the transmission. Would not move forward or reverse. If you rev the engine and work steering and Hydraulics hard, after awhile it will begin to engage and start to move. You must maintain working the machine after that to maintain momentum. If you are slow to stop to lift something, it refuses to budge again. This can be a back and forth game for around 10 minutes then everything seems to become normal. This problem only exists when the outside temperature starts cooling down. During summer months when it is hot outside and after air pressure builds to release the brakes it is an unstoppable machine. If temperatures drop to app. 8 Celsius or lower this will create a moving issue. This machine has had this issue for the 4+ years I have owned it. It was previously stored indoors for over 10 years before I purchased it. Can someone please help with this problem. The only thing maybe I can think of is perhaps a sticking declutch valve. If you agree, what is the best way to fix. If you don't believe that to be the problem, I would appreciate any and all alternatives.
Please help

Attachments

• CLARK DANA 11.2HRS18301-2 Targhet.jpg
    CLARK DANA 11.2HRS18301-2 Targhet.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 8

Acecadet

Well I believe you have either a very worn charge pump or a leaky suction tube up to the charge pump. I don’t know how much time, money and effort you want to invest in that old unit. If it were me, I would overfill the hell out of that transmission an see what happens.

Caseybow

I understand the theory. However, when you let the machine idle for over 10 minutes, the oil should then be warm and thinned out.

Acecadet

Ok well get some gauges on that transmission and see what the pump is doing. It’s just a gear pump. It’s at the highest point on the transmission. The gear pump only has to make a couple hundred psi for the transmission. When that pump was new it was capable of a couple thousand psi. Now it’s worn and has many scratches and grooves worn in it. Under perfect conditions gear pumps are not great at sucking fluid. They are far better at pushing. I’m going with the easiest thing to try. With the fluid being overfilled it will be easier for the pump to draw and maybe the higher level will cover any leaks in the suction tube. You asked for help, this is just my two cents.

Caseybow

Thanks Acecadet. I was unsure of overfilling the transmission part you mentioned. After you explained it, makes sense. Appeciate any and all help.