• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

544J trasmission problems, help

stmengn

I am working on a 544j that will not go in reverse, it just failed all at once with no noise or vibrations , of the mechanical sort . Im thinking something electrical but don't know where to start . it travels fine in all forward gears , shift to neutral it will lunge forward for just a second then stop. shift to reverse and it will start to move forward again then stop like the brake is on . JD service techs have been here and say that when in reverse there is still 60 lbs pressure on the forward clutch circuit test port ?? but cant find any codes being displayed to suggest wiring problems . they say some gear in tranny has broke from its shaft causing the problem . sounds crazy to me no grinding or funny noises .no trash in the oil. I just cant believe its not electrical . any help is appreciated
Thanks Andy

JWJDM

Did they check fnr lever in cab? They wear internally and cause problems try lifting up on lever and shifting machine into reverse.

stmengn

this machine has the fnr rocker switch in the boom lever and we tried a new joystick assy. which made no difference .

stmengn

Could there be a way to check the signals going to the 6 solenoid valves on the front of the transmission , it acts like transmission is getting mixed signals and not engaging reverse ?

JWJDM

Yes but you would need wire diagram to figure out the wires. Did they try to recalabrate trans clutch packs through the dash. Might want to inspect harness from under cab to trans control valve for chafed wires or bad connection at plug connectors.

stmengn

Thats what is on plan for tomorrow service techs from a different dealer are coming , ill ask about the recalibration . Thanks

mally

Occupation
supervisor
Try a new FNR lever. Ours had the same issue and after wasting to much time I just got a new lever and it was fixed. I just never heard of a FNR lever go bad after all the years I have been around loaders.

K100E

what did you find wrong with the 544J? I have one doing the same thing. Thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF K100E;)!

what did you find wrong with the 544J? I have one doing the same thing. Thanks
This thread is from 2013. Doubt you will get an answer. How about you start your own thread, supply a complete machine serial number and a good description of your issue and when/how it started.