• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

544J start problem

mpolk

I am not sure if he did it three times or not, once he made that determination he did not do anything else, except try to sell me an engine and the price get this was not going to include injectors
The machine has 8758 hours and he said the need engines at 6500.......I do not believe he is right if it was a compression issue I would expect low power, blow by additionally you can ether start it and work it for an hour and kill it and it will not start , if low compression I think would start when warmed up....and how would low compression cause the filters to get sucked dry?............anyway we can not get it to start with the injector return line taken loose from tee and the tee is capped so I can not get a true injector only test.......my normal dealer will get a tech out in a day or two, im gonna replace the injectors and see what happens...any other ideas or thoughts

AndrewC

Im going to assume you don't have low compression as it shouldn't cause the filters to run dry, when cranking did you get 3.7 oz in 20 sec out the injectors when you were disconnected from the tee? BTW those engines depending on servicing get 13000+, good oil and filters make a big difference.

mpolk

we could not get it to start even on ether when we disconnected the injector return at the tee and capped the tee

the only return we could measure was from return line to the tank which is the main return and includes what the pump is allowing to be returned as well
that returned 40 oz in one minute at idle

Delmer

when cranking

Just trying to help here, you can measure the leakage cranking the engine, doesn't need to be running.

And I'll second that low compression would not cause this to not start on it's own, you could have half the cylinders dead and the other half at 75% and it would start just fine warm and probably cold too.

I only wish I knew if I was supposed to laugh or not when you mentioned the "top of the line tech"???

mpolk

ok men we have a resolution.............. as you know I was ready to replace injectors...............my normal deere dealer did me a favor and got a tech out today.....when he first arrives he tells me "I understand you are having some problems with your loader not starting right and I am here to help. I am going to check it out a little and I will let you know what I find as soon as I am done"
He spent several hours going over everything and he said the high pressure pump was out, he had brought parts that he might need with him so he had one, he replaced the pump and that was it....he said it did not need injectors........................... the pump had been replaced 10/29/2013.....I think with a factory tech diagnosing it I have a chance at getting it warrantied by deere...................the tech was a pro, he diagnosed the problem without assuming anything regarding what had been replaced or repaired before .....so far the machine starts and runs good. Thank you all for your help