• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

524 Deere Loader, what no key!

heavylift

I see this machine has a potential to idle long hours, waste copious amount of fuel.
19 button pushes to start this silly thing. I didn't run it. But it seemed like it took 5 minutes to restart it. After the first day I noticed it setting and idling about half the day.

cutting edge

So what are you saying?

Was it beyond your capabilities to press the start button, punch in a 4 digit security code,then the enter button and then the start button? ( 6 button presses)

....and if it sat around idling, don't you think someone should enable the idle shutdown timer?

heavylift

It has a 6 digit code. Which just happens to be the rental company's equipment number, so as a security feature that didn't make sense. It takes 19 pushes of the buttons to get it started. It doesn't have a numbered keypad, so you have to push an arrow button to run up to the correct number each time.

One job had a Volvo with the timer on it. It was maybe one minute before it shut down. Ask the rental guy about it, sure I can disable it. If you buy the machine. A few days later I saw it idling. I asked the foreman when did the turn the timer off, oh they didn't , I just put the cutting edge in the ground and put it in 1st. Walked away shaking my head.

JDOFMEMI

I think we will be able to look back and find that the best machines ever were the last generation before all the electronic controls. They can make a machine nice when it is new, but are a bear later on. Now we have come to ones that are not even nice to run when new.

Put a key in and turn it.

I am sure there will be accidents caused by field workarounds to all the PITA safety and security measures, like mentioned above by heavylift.